Mississippi Pannie Report - And A Very Scary Sight!

Hello All,

Headed over to Mississippi today to chase some crappies and 'gills with my buddy Andy. Approached the 9A launch, and noticed a truck just pulling a new boat out of the water. Waited at the side, as he pulled the rig straight forward up the steep incline. He parked the rig on the road leading to the ramp, at which point I mentioned to Andy - "why is this guy blocking the road to the ramp - is he launching again or not?" At this point, the truck and boat started slowly backing up, and I could see a guy at the driver's side walking beside it, or at least it appeared that he was. Next thing I know, the truck and boat is cruising down the hill fast, and then I see feet, legs and a body being dragged alongside the truck. I yell over to Andy - "he's being dragged down the damn ramp!!" I jump out of my truck, just before the boat, trailer and truck goes flying into the lake, jackknifing about 15 feet from shore with a loud bang. By the time I get over, the guy is giving the truck gas, and manages to drive the rig out to safety. The guy is completely soaked from head to toe, and the water was COLD! We ask if he is ok, to which he says yes. It turns out he thought he put the truck into park, but instead put it into reverse! He tried to jump into the truck as it was backing down the ramp, but as the speed increased, he ended up falling and being dragged. He then states he works over at Lake and Trail, and was water testing the boat. Andy opens the back door of his truck, and water just pours out. Everything was soaked.

Scared the crap out of both of us, as I'm sure it did for this guy! Could of turned out much worse, with him being crushed under the truck when he was being dragged. As I ran over there, I actually thought I was going to have to jump in to find this guy...

If there's one lesson to be learnt - make sure it is in park before exiting your vehicle...

After that "excitement", we headed out for some crappie. Pretty sure that the cold front from the day before affected the fish, as it was tough as hell out there. Fished the bay by the launch, only managing three perch and a largie. Did find three slab crappies by a fallen tree area, but they refused to bite. Threw everything at them. Actually, we only saw 6 crappie for the 5 hours we were on the water. I'm certain the temp. change shut the fish right down, or even scattered them.

Headed to my secret gill bay - not a fish in sight! Too early I think.

So, all in all, a pretty "crappy" day out there. Gorgeous day weather wise, but that was about it.

Stopped for cold beers and burgers on the way home at Local Heroes - as we pulled into the parking lot, three New Jersey Devils players were exiting the bar and hopping in a cab. Colin White was one of them. The waitress said she put some diahhrea medicine in their food so they'd have the craps on game day tomorrow!

Sorry - no photos today. The waitress was probably the only thing worthy of a pic!

Until next time...

Good Fishing,

Justin

Justin,how are you doing bud,sorry to hear about your slow day,but thats fishing right LOL.

Must of been a sight seeing the truck rolling back,good thing no one got hurt,and you did not have to jump in to save the guy.

Pic,s of the waitress,since no Pic,s of fish LOL.

Steve