weed guards

Jacob

I've been tying flies like crazy for the last few days and was wondering what is the best way to make weedguards on large pike and bass flies? What material to use? Mono or wire? And what pound test?

Also if anyone has any ultra realistic perch paterns? Larger sizes in the 5 to 9 inch range. Preferably using synthetic materials.

Thanks in advance

Jacob

Better than a wire or mono weedguards see if you can get your hands on some keel fly hooks. The ones I used to use were Eagle Claw and I found a higher percentage of hook ups with them as opposed to a weed guard and they are pretty weedless too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KeelFlyHook.jpg

Some green and yellow dyed grizzly saddle hackle should make a good perch imitator.

For the weed guard I would go with some mono 50lb test or more, and for perch patterns I have seen some pretty good ones, one in particular was tied entirely in krystal flash, I think it was green on top, white for the mid section and orange on the bottom, use scissors to taper at the ends, and get a black sharpie to make vertical black marks along the fly. For the head get some big holographic eyes and use some kind of head cement or UV glue. The one I saw had a trailer hook but you could probably tie it without. Have fun tying.