Next up..a week of hot turkey sandwiches and leftovers

The kids just headed home. The mountain of dishes are cleaned and the running around the kitchen like a chicken with it's head cut off is finally over. I Love having the family over but I always fine Thanksgiving a real big chore. I'd much rather have the gang over and burn a few steaks on the grill and toss a few salads. Anybody else out there feel the same? Does anybody else have an easier tradition that they insert for Thanksgiving?

On a positive note. We have got tons of leftovers in the fridge. Leftover hot turkey sandwiches with leftover stuffing and cranberry sauce is the bomb :thumbsup_anim: I actually enjoy it more then the big feast the first time around.

I had a small mountain of dishes too.

My initial plans for Thanksgiving dinner was to make a turducken like I did last year. However I decided against it after remembering how much work it was to prepare, not to mention the cost of making it.

A turkey runs about $25-30, a duck about $20 and a chicken $10-12. Add the cost of about 5 boxes of Stouffers stuffing and about 2-3 hours of prepping the birds.

A simple turkey dinner worked for us this year. Not too much leftovers though mainly the wings and drumsticks.

Had us a perfect Turkey dinner yesterday. 7lb bird and 6 side dishes + dessert for 7 guests. It left us with 2 days of leftovers. Yes, I spent 6 hours in the kitchen doing all the cooking, but someone else does the cleaning.

Harvest weekend is, naturally, more than one day. The day prior was a lighter meal consisting of items fresh from the field. A big pot of leek and potato soup, marinated cukes and stuffed cherry bombs.

Tomorrow will be hot turkey sandwiches and leftover soup

The biggest challenge was moving stuff around to sleep 3 houseguests for the weekend. Usually, at this time of year, there are cases of jars everywhere, and 1 or 2 bushels of produce waiting to be processed.

Edited by bigugli