Thanksgiving fishing

trevy727

My wife and I were really looking forward to spending thanksgiving weekend camping on the french river and doing some musky fishing. Unfortunately, I broke my leg and will be in a cast for the next 6 weeks.

I still want to go musky Fishing but camping may be too difficult with a cast. We've spent many weekends up on the lower French in a tent for the past 20 years and I'd like to stay in this area but Im also looking at moving to the mouth and giving it a try out there. I am now looking for a lodge to make things a bit easier. Preferably a drive to cabin. Any one have any recommendations?

Somewhere around Brit? Or Key river? Or closer?

I'll be doing my research as well but any first hand experience is nice.

Thanks

Schells is strictly seasonal now and has no web presence to speak of. Dropped by during a trip in the area to check it out. Maybe it was me but I felt a very cold shoulder when I asked about camping.

How about Hartley Bay Marina ? They have cabins and are on the Lower French.

Edited by woodenboater

Schells is now strictly seasonal now and has no web presence to speak of. Dropped by during a trip in the area to check it out. Maybe it was me but I felt a very cold shoulder when I asked about camping.

Interesting you say that. While we were at Wolseley Lodge, we met another couple who's family has been going to Schell's camp for many years. It sounds like it is under new ownership, new rates/fees, etc. This couple made it sound like they have their regular clients and not much interested in new people. Doesn't sound like the same place anymore - to them anyway From what they said, they probably would not go back there again. (Just relaying what one couple said to us - so take it for what it may be worth. Could even be something personal with this couple too).

Edited by Rich Clemens

Schells is strictly seasonal now and has no web presence to speak of. Dropped by during a trip in the area to check it out. Maybe it was me but I felt a very cold shoulder when I asked about camping.

I launch at hartley bay marina eveytime we go and I think it may be too hard to get from the water to the cabins on crutches as they are up a pretty steep incline.

I've also checked prices for French river lodge and bears den but I would like to eliminate the parking and launch fees if I'm going to get a cabin that's why I'm looking for a drive to camp.

It's not the Lower but how about Moonlight Bay Cottages on the North Channel ? Stayed there a couple of years ago and very nice place. Not sure if it's the same water as Rich's trip to Rainbow (might be separated by rapids/swift). Also looks very 'cast' friendly for boat access. One of the cottages has a private dock, like #11 at Lakair ;)

It's not the Lower but how about Moonlight Bay Cottages on the North Channel ? Stayed there a couple of years ago and very nice place. Not sure if it's the same water as Rich's trip to Rainbow (might be separated by rapids/swift). Also looks very 'cast' friendly for boat access. One of the cottages has a private dock, like #11 at Lakair ;)

Yes - Same stretch as I fish, but lower. You are correct in that the Rapids just below Green Bay Lodge would separate us. I went there once - Nothing I would even attempt to run. We drive right by the place on the way to Rainbow and Wolseley. Can't see the camp from the road and I never stopped by to take a look at it - should do that one of these times. Problem is, we take our dogs with us and many places do not allow pets - so we are somewhat limited on the camps we use.

Yes - Same stretch as I fish, but lower. You are correct in that the Rapids just below Green Bay Lodge would separate us. I went there once - Nothing I would even attempt to run. We drive right by the place on the way to Rainbow and Wolseley. Can't see the camp from the road and I never stopped by to take a look at it - should do that one of these times. Problem is, we take our dogs with us and many places do not allow pets - so we are somewhat limited on the camps we use.

just checked, no pets unfortunately Rich.