Wading boots ?

misfish

Time for a new pair,surprise.Lots of miles put on them after a year and a half. :lol:

Whats new out there,and what should I be staying away from? I like those ones with the dial,but are they proven? Would like to get away from the laces.

Not looking for high end,as I do lots of bush whacking.But I do need good ankle support.

Thanks

Edited by Misfish

I bought a pair of Frogg Toggs last year. I usually don't like the producs but these didn't look bad or really cheap. I paid a 100 for them and they are actually really comfortable and have seemed to hold up well through what I have done with them. They are fairly light to.

Edited by Live2fish85

Said it many times ... go to a discount shoe store and buy some inexpensive hiking boots with a good lug sole. Find a pair that are two or three sizes too big and you're all set. They work great, and will cost you half of what even lousy quality "wading boots" will set you back.

Honestly - wading boots are the biggest rip-off in the store. They charge $100 for what are realistically $20 hiking boots, at best.

I'm presently wearing some lightweight nylon hiking boots I bought at some discount shoe store in the mall two years ago. I paid $35 for them. I use them a lot, and they still look and work like new.

Last pair I had lasted about five years, and also cost about $30.

Why anyone would willingly pay more than that is beyond me.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Said it many times ... go to a discount shoe store and buy some inexpensive hiking boots with a good lug sole. Find a pair that are two or three sizes too big and you're all set. They work great, and will cost you half of what even lousy quality "wading boots" will set you back.

Honestly - wading boots are the biggest rip-off in the store. They charge $100 for what are realistically $20 hiking boots, at best.

I'm presently wearing some lightweight nylon hiking boots I bought at some discount shoe store in the mall two years ago. I paid $35 for them. I use them a lot, and they still look and work like new.

Last pair I had lasted about five years, and also cost about $30.

Why anyone would willingly pay more than that is beyond me.

Thanks Craig.

I'm not exactly sure I'd be wearing hiking boots, but each to their own. The difference is drain holes, overall weight, and the quality and type of sole on wading boots vs hiking boots.

Besides, if I'm fishing a $1200 rod and reel, $500 waders and a $400 dollar wading jacket I can spring for a decent pair of boots LOL!

That's not to say you actually need any of that stuff to catch fish. But when you're into a sport, any sport, at a high level one tends to use higher end equipment.

On a more useful note I just grabbed a pair of wading boots yesterday. Not that I actually need them, it's just the price was too good to pass up.

I picked up a pair of William Joseph W2O boots from Sierra Trading Post. Shipped to my buddy in Lewiston who happens to be delivering them right to my front door thanksgiving weekend they cost me $46 all in.

Sierra is a great resource if you're searching for deals.

Besides, if I'm fishing a $1200 rod and reel, $500 waders and a $400 dollar wading jacket I can spring for a decent pair of boots LOL!

HOPE MY WIFE DOSENT READ THIS. SHHHHHHHHHHHHH :lol:

Ya,Im not sure about a hiking boot. I would think they would be heavy for those long walking days.

I was able to get a good deal on a clearance for patagonia riverwalker boots with the sticky sole and has since added studs. They are a very comfortable boot for around $150.

I have done the hiking boot thing and they work ok. But I do prefer my patagonia boots to the hikers I used previously.

I was able to get a good deal on a clearance for patagonia riverwalker boots with the sticky sole and has since added studs. They are a very comfortable boot for around $150.

I have done the hiking boot thing and they work ok. But I do prefer my patagonia boots to the hikers I used previously.

Lots of good reviews on them. Where did you pick yours up?

I'm not exactly sure I'd be wearing hiking boots, but each to their own. The difference is drain holes, overall weight, and the quality and type of sole on wading boots vs hiking boots.

That's not to say you actually need any of that stuff to catch fish. But when you're into a sport, any sport, at a high level one tends to use higher end equipment.

On a more useful note I just grabbed a pair of wading boots yesterday. Not that I actually need them, it's just the price was too good to pass up.

I picked up a pair of William Joseph W2O boots from Sierra Trading Post. Shipped to my buddy in Lewiston who happens to be delivering them right to my front door thanksgiving weekend they cost me $46 all in.

Sierra is a great resource if you're searching for deals.

To each their own indeed, Mike. I find lighter-weight hikers are no heavier than any wading boots I've ever owned, and the lug sole provides far better traction on sand or mud than felt. Felt has a slight edge on felt, but I've never considered it a huge difference.

I doubt I spend anywhere near as much money on equipment as you do, but I still have some nice stuff that makes me happy. Most of my spending goes into travel, so I can fish in the best locations and have those experiences one tends to remember forever. The few bucks I save here and there on equipment fund my annual BC trip for salmon and steelhead, or perhaps a week down south for sailfish or tarpon. Personally speaking, I'd rather put my cash into those kind of experiences than super-high-end equipment, but again, to each their own.

We need to get out for some fish this fall.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

To each their own indeed, Mike. I find lighter-weight hikers are no heavier than any wading boots I've ever owned, and the lug sole provides far better traction on sand or mud than felt. Felt has a slight edge on felt, but I've never considered it a huge difference.

I doubt I spend as much money on equipment as you do, but I still have some nice stuff. Most of my spending goes into travel, so I can fish in the best locations and have those experiences one tends to remember forever. The few bucks I save here and there on equipment fund my annual BC trip for salmon and steelhead, or perhaps a week down south for sailfish or tarpon. Personally speaking, I'd rather put my cash into those kind of experiences than super-high-end equipment, but again, to each their own.

Actually most of my disposable income is spent on travel as well.

You're preaching to the choir here. :)