Very brief report from a brief walleye trip

nkuchmak

So i had a quick trip with some friends at the end of the summer hoping to get into some walleye. Now, none of us are even walleye fisherman but we stocked up on bottom bouncers and jigs and got to it.

This was really only my second time specifically targeting walleyes and having only ever had success slowly back trolling around point and islands, this is what we stuck to.

7760300446_43f11f4e98_z.jpg

Bottom Bouncing Works by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

We had no problem catching lots of tiny tiny walleye and we were able to secure our daily shore lunch of fish and chips or fish tacos. However, we had yet to see anything of any size.

7760225860_b9d34acea5_z.jpg

Shore lunch by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

Of course, it wasn't until I spent an evening fishing with an old friend who hadn't wet a line in 7 years that things turned around. Before this trip he didn't know what a walleye was let alone caught one. This is the same guy that on the way to the lake he had forgot to purchase a fishing license and was there anywhere to "pick one up" on the way?

While the sun was setting we decided to troll past a point which led into a very large large bay. The sonar showed a lot of rocky ups and downs and so when my fishing buddy hollered that he was stuck on the bottom it didn't surprise me one bit. What did surprise me was once over the "snag" the clear bounding of the rod indicating it was a fish. Some carefully coaching on "letting the fish run" and not simply "hauling it in" in later and we had the fish in the net. Im pretty sure everyone on the lake heard my buddies excitement at that moment. Was a great walleye at 27 inches and after a little boat side rehab she was back down to the bottom.

7760216176_2d26f6c64e_z.jpg

Beginners Luck by nickkuchmak, on Flickr

Funny thing is I have had many phone calls from this guy asking when we are going fishing again!