Motor Recomends for my new canoe..

Black_Blade

Black Blade,

I have a 15 ft. flat back canoe. Since 2004, I've had a minkotta 35 lbs thrust trolling motor. It worked really well in small reservoirs. It worked just fine for larger bodies of water (e.g., scugog). The trick is, try and get the largest marine battery as possible. Your canoe will be able to handle it.

I agree with the members on this board that your decision will be based on how you travel on the water. At first, the trolling motor served me well as it was aligned with my purpose. However, last season - my experience at scugog was awesome - but I wanted to go explor other parts of the lake and the trolling motor just won't cut it.

My purpose has changed. This week I purchased a 2 horse power honda outboard. I can only imagine how much water I can now cover.

Good luck with your decision.

Best,

Sawyer

it also depends on where you fish most of the time ... some conservation areas don't allow gas motors ... good luck with ur search

I agree If you fish Conservation Areas a lot, i would get an electric motor. Otherwise gas all the way.

My purpose has changed. This week I purchased a 2 horse power honda outboard. I can only imagine how much water I can now cover.

Saywer, did you get your 2 hp new? Just wondering how much they go for, guess would have to go to closest marine dealer around here (have to dig out the yellow pages..lol)

Of course, still would have to put this proposed "bill for purchase" for a reading through parliament here and be prepared to argue my case... :whistling:

Saywer, did you get your 2 hp new? Just wondering how much they go for, guess would have to go to closest marine dealer around here (have to dig out the yellow pages..lol)

Of course, still would have to put this proposed "bill for purchase" for a reading through parliament here and be prepared to argue my case... :whistling:

Seaway marine is in Whitby near port whitby just off Victoria west of Brock.

I bought a 30lb elec. for my 14' Scott square stern. As sombody else said, its ok on calm day's. (then again its a heavy canoe with a wide beam, usually occupied by 2 adults) I still plan on buying a 2hp gas someday for some remote canoe camping and fishing...but for now its good for the conservation areas.

I'd like to put swivel seats in it also as its a PITA to sit sideways in a canoe to operate the throttle...pretty narrow & awkward. If I was only ever going to use just electrics on a canoe (for conservation areas or rivers), I think I would have chosen a lighter canoe that was more efficient for paddling or use it with a side mount set up for a trolling motor instead.

Blackblade,

I bought my 2 horse power used. The deal came with a dingie (sp?). I bought the entire combination for $500.

The seller only used the motor 3-4 times one year. Her husband bought the motor 7-8 years ago and suffered a stroke the same year. My buddy and I checked it out and it looks great.

A brand new honda 2 hp go for $1000.00 these days. Check them out.

What I want to do is to take my trolling motor and mount it on the bow. So I'll use the gas motor to get to the 'honey' hole and cover extra water on larger bodies of water. While fishing the spot, my trolling motor kicks in....we'll see how it goes :)

-Sawyer

I have a 14 foot Sportspal. I would say that you should buy a small gas engine for it. Even a 4 cycle 2 h.p. motor weighs only about 30 lbs.....which is less weight than a battery and electric motor.

Then, buy a small electric motor. They are cheap. I use a 9 lb thrust 3 speed Minn Kota 15 and I can go against some pretty strong current and even at it's lowest speed, I find that it is still too fast for trolling. However, a 30 lb thrust electric motor only costs about 130 dollars new. I'm sure you can find a used electric motor real cheap.

I have a 40# Maxxum Minn Kota on the back of my 17' coleman square back. I mounted the swivel seats on and took it out to Guelph Lake.

I am very happy with the entire outfit right now. It is heavy with the battery and I know I wouldnt be portaging anywhere with that set up.

Down the line a small 2hp would be nice but for now I am on the water and happy.

LOL here I am looking into getting motors for the canoe...but have yet to find out how good or bad it paddles yet :lol:

I have the real old Sportspal....the one with the foam seats that are stored in the points of the canoe.

From a sitting position, it can be paddled. When alone, the paddler must move towards the middle of the canoe to paddle and the canoe is quite wide plus there are the foam flottation cushions on the outside so it's better to sit near the edge of the canoe to make it tilt a bit and allow easier access with the paddle. It's not a real easy canoe to paddle but most of the time, I paddle the canoe and rarely use any kind of motor. The Sportspal's width makes it slow down faster between strokes and the outside finish on the canoe creates drag too. I don't know if the Sportspal still comes with oar locks but mine has them and in heavy wind, using the oars is a definite advantage.

The Sportspal is not for paddling long distances or leisure sightseeing and exploration....it's a fishing canoe....and a great one for that purpose. For slowly trolling a fly or lure while paddling, it's great and not tiring but it does not move fast like a sleek narrow long distance paddling canoe. The best paddling position is in a kneeling position with your rear end just resting on the foam seat. It's best to put down a good soft impermeable cushion on the floor of the canoe so you knees dont rest on any of the aluminum ribs that hold the foam carpet in place.

The Sportspal also has a tendancy to leak a bit. Applying sealant to the interieur seams is a good idea. The Sportspal is also easy to tow. Use the towing holes that are found at either end of the double pointed Sportspal. They are well placed closer to the water level and eliminate any wandering from side to side.

I like to rest my rod against the gunwale and in order to reduce noise or eliminate scratching the rod, I apply a strip of foam weather stripping. It's cheap and easy to replace.

Edited by Dabluz