Moving to Edmonton-any connections.???

Pikeslayer

Hey All,

Well my one and only Son is leaving for a new career in Edmonton later this week. He has accepted a position with a resource/research drilling company. He will have accommodations & expenses paid through the end of the month so will need to find suitable rental accommodations. I'm busy with all the usual Internet searches (hence no fishing reort from an epic father & son LO outing) but I figured I would post this here.

I'm wondering if anyone has any family, friends or realtors that might make the search less tedious?? I'm thinking he's going to be spending very little time in Edmonton but will need a secure home base there.

Feel free to PM any leads. Greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Simon

Hey All,

Well my one and only Son is leaving for a new career in Edmonton later this week. He has accepted a position with a resource/research drilling company. He will have accommodations & expenses paid through the end of the month so will need to find suitable rental accommodations. I'm busy with all the usual Internet searches (hence no fishing reort from an epic father & son LO outing) but I figured I would post this here.

I'm wondering if anyone has any family, friends or realtors that might make the search less tedious?? I'm thinking he's going to be spending very little time in Edmonton but will need a secure home base there.

Feel free to PM any leads. Greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Simon

Get him to register on the Alberta Outdoorsman forum , there are a few realters and lots of people simply willing to help out a new guy on that website.

Cat

That's neat, Simon! I lived there 13+ yrs ago, so I have no connections (sorry) but have a few tips: gotta have a block heater, gonna love the northern lights, gotta get some good snow tires (roads become tracks rather than plowed roads!), gonna love the endless sunset in the summer! If people talk to him in the grocery store, no... They won't mug him... They're just really friendly! What a super adventure- wish him best of luck for us! Oh, and if he sees a coyote in the city, don't bother with the SPCA.. They'll just laugh!!!

is he on a rotation schedule? or permanently based out of edmonton with a little site travel? craigslist and kijiji are good for shorterm rentals/renting rooms, a few scams but they are clearly obvious

I rented a 24 hr access storage locker for my valuables, extra parking spot at a friend's condo for cheap and stayed in hotels and hostels while doing a rotation schedule based of vancouver, worked great for 10 months, not for everybody but works for a single bachelor and works out to the same as paying rent or slightly cheaper

it's a tough time of year with fall semesters starting but there should be lots of options available...the search will be much easier when he's out here, searching long distance is definitely tougher, he'll be fine once he gets out here

Thank you to all who PM'd. Some good info and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

Get him to register on the Alberta Outdoorsman forum , there are a few realters and lots of people simply willing to help out a new guy on that website.

Cat

A good idea!!! Are you a member on the forum?? Could you PM me your user name so I can reference your referral??

Pm sent I hope he enjoys himself

Thx for the PM :thumbsup_anim:

That's neat, Simon! I lived there 13+ yrs ago, so I have no connections (sorry) but have a few tips: gotta have a block heater, gonna love the northern lights, gotta get some good snow tires (roads become tracks rather than plowed roads!), gonna love the endless sunset in the summer! If people talk to him in the grocery store, no... They won't mug him... They're just really friendly! What a super adventure- wish him best of luck for us! Oh, and if he sees a coyote in the city, don't bother with the SPCA.. They'll just laugh!!!

Thx Juli. We had the block heater installed last week and the car was given a thorough check up for the long drive. Winter tires will get purchased later in the year for sure. Thanks again for the best wishes.

My brother just sold a house in Red Deer and my other brother is in a burb of Edmonton. Let me ask them and get back to you!

Appreciate that Cliff.

is he on a rotation schedule? or permanently based out of edmonton with a little site travel? craigslist and kijiji are good for shorterm rentals/renting rooms, a few scams but they are clearly obvious

I rented a 24 hr access storage locker for my valuables, extra parking spot at a friend's condo for cheap and stayed in hotels and hostels while doing a rotation schedule based of vancouver, worked great for 10 months, not for everybody but works for a single bachelor and works out to the same as paying rent or slightly cheaper

it's a tough time of year with fall semesters starting but there should be lots of options available...the search will be much easier when he's out here, searching long distance is definitely tougher, he'll be fine once he gets out here

Your right about the long distance searching. I think by the time he gets there, we're gonna have a few people looking out for him thanks to this community.

Thank you to all who PM'd. Some good info and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.

A good idea!!! Are you a member on the forum?? Could you PM me your user name so I can reference your referral??

Yup, I'm a member there, same handle as here.B)

Ft. McMurray is my home, BTW......

Cat

Edited by catnthehat