61 Merc 6hp twin

earl

Hello everyone

Well it could be time to replace my 61 Merc 6hp twin

My problem is........at full throttle it does not have any guts............could it be a fuel problem(check valves)..........??????

because the motor is ancient i can't find those parts........any ideas...:o

Hello everyone

My problem is........at full throttle it does not have any guts............could it be a fuel problem(check valves)..........??????

Did you check the compression? It should be fixable if you have good compression.

I just bought parts for a 65 evinrude and had no problem finding them, so they should be out there somewhere. Call Robinson Marine 705-324-1843 in Lindsay, they might be able to help you with parts if needed.

Your problem could be loose fuel connections, poor spark, dirty carb, bad coils etc.

Don't give up if it's been a good motor for you.

http://www.laingsoutboards.com/

I used this company when I restored a single cylinder 1947 Champion for a buddy of mine; it was his dad's motor.

They seems to have or can get just about anything you want for an outboard motor of any year; they even found the original decals for that motor.

That Champion is now on display at the Port Dover marine museum. It looked to good too use, so we donated it to the museum in my buddies dad's name.

Dan.

Hello everyone

I'd say give the carb to someone to rebuid.,New gas,good fuel hose,coil if necessary.New plugs first if you go this route.Problem should be solved. Too much oil?. Compression used to give me a problem at mid range and full out.How long ago was it run?

http://www.laingsoutboards.com/

I used this company when I restored a single cylinder 1947 Champion for a buddy of mine; it was his dad's motor.

They seems to have or can get just about anything you want for an outboard motor of any year; they even found the original decals for that motor.

That Champion is now on display at the Port Dover marine museum. It looked to good too use, so we donated it to the museum in my buddies dad's name.

Dan.

i use to have two of those Champion motors..........i gave them away(reason i don't know):wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: