NY & ON one day fishing licences

rhymobot

I believe I saw online that it's $15 a day for a non resident for NY. I've always wondered about this for licence costs for one day of fishing. How come it's so high? Ontario is $21.

Is it not prohibitively high for a non resident who wants to go across a border and fish a lake? Considering you have to pay for the gas to get there and launch fee and possibly hotel, don't these high prices make you think twice? What if it was much cheaper like West Virginia, where I'm going labour day weekend, where it's only $3. If it wasn't so expensive would more people go across borders and fish, you know, to do something different than the usual fishing at home?

I'm not a hardcore angler, and I only have an inflatable boat, but to get away from home for a night I've looked going into western NY with the GF and visiting a state park, and shopping, and fishing saturday and sunday. But when I looked up the cost and saw it would be $15 x 2 people x 2 days I said forget it. I'm sure people in NY see the same thing about ON.

So can anyone tell me why one day licences are so expensive when one of the goals of any province or state is to attract tourists to come spend their money on shopping, hotels, food, etc. Just curious.

I once paid $17 for a one day licence in Florida but Florida is a world renowned fishing destination because of it's fresh water and salt water and the bass are bigger and salt water I'd say is more productive. I paid it because I was at a state park and could see the BIG mullet, parrot fish and needle fish swimming right in front of me and I had a field day catching them.

Edited by yush_gta

I don’t fish NY enough to really make an annual license worthwhile. I buy the day or sometimes the weekly licenses (for long weekends). The last few years I've only been able to get down a couple times for carp and steelhead. I actually don’t mind the cost of the licenses considering how much fun I have down there. The fishing is great and the people are friendly.