LOTW Northwest Angle Part 2

Gregoire

After a few more cast we decided that it was getting a bit dark, actually darker than we would like, and decided to head back to camp.

Tim tried to start the motor, but there was nothing. It was turning, but not catching. We tinkered with it a bit, but it would not turn over. We were about 18 miles from camp, and we had already seen a few boats motor by us on the way back. We saw one boat, and tried to contact it, but it did not hear the horn. Finally we got the spotlight, and we were able to get the attention of a boat that was motoring by as I was just getting dark. They came over and sent out a call on the radio asking for someone to contact Sandy's so that they could send a boat out to tow us is. We got on the trolling motor as they went to a nearby saddle to fish. After about 20 minutes without any action they came back to us, as it seemed clear that the message was not received at camp. They offered to run John back to camp so that he could get his boat and return to tow us.

It was just Tim, me and a trolling motor on a dead calm lake motoring along the main channel in the direction of camp. We figured at the 2 miles per hour clip we were travelling we would be back to camp by breakfast if there was no rescue party and if the battery held up. It turned out that Tim and I were only out there for an hour and a half. After about a half hour a lightning storm started to form to the west. We saw lightning striking, but heard no thunder, but being out in the middle of a huge lake I felt the tension starting to rise. So I start to gab. I think I talked non stop until we saw some lights an hour or so later to the east of us. There was a boat. We were safe.

It turns out the boat was about 2 1/2 miles away, so although we could see it, it took at least 15 minutes to get to us. When it got close we could see that Jim Saric, Steve Heiting, and Kevin Schmidt had come for us, not John as we thought. All of this despite the fact that they were schedules to film the next day. Was I ever happy to see them. This is another reason to go to the University of Esox, Jim takes personal responsiveness for all the campers, and it was a relief to see him and him 20ft ranger with a 250 on the back. He took one look at us and one look at where we were and said: "It's too far to tow you in, there is a camp right around that island. We'll take you there and tie you off for the night, then we'll take you in." Steve asked "How's you guys do?" When I told him we landed a big girl he was ecstatic, and a bit of the tension came off.

I was very impressed that Jim knew the lake so well that he could tell where we were, but I was thankful that we would be safe.

When we got to the dock I could see that we were at an old abandoned camp. We pulled around and Jim let us go. We went to put the trolling motor in but there was no juice. So we paddled in. We got to the dock, and I stepped on to tie us off. On my second step I felt my weight go through a plank. I immediately went limp and fell down. Luckily I did not get wet or injured. At this point Steve Heiting was on the dock as well. He was doing his best to calm us down. making some jokes and reminding me to keep to the joists. I guess I got a little too relaxed as Jim said "let's hurry up so that we can beat this storm in." At that point we tied off quickly and headed home. Not before Steve reminded Tim to grab the camera, as he said the rest of the camp would want to see pictures of "the big girl".

As I said the next day to Steve, I enjoyed the twilight tour of the lake. In reality it was anything but that. For the most part we motored pretty quickly back to camp. Occasionally we would stop so that Jim could get his bearings. As some of you know, LOTW can be treacherous during the day with submerge reefs and isolated shallow rocks. Occasionally we would slow and Jim would say "island to the right." Kevin would say "marker to the right", and Steve would be flashing a spotlight towards both. This crew worked together in perfect cohesion to get us home safely.

Once home John was waiting at the dock for us. He had a beer for me and I was thankful to be on terra firma. We stayed up a bit too late that night drinking and talking. I was all sorts of wound up, but thankful to be at a camp run by such great people. I later learned that if the university of esox were not going on Bill Sandy and his son Brandon would have headed out to get us. What a great lodge.

The next morning I slept in a bit. I woke up at a quarter past seven, just in time to get a good breakfast and for the seminars. When all the tallies were done John and another camper were in a tie for most fish with 3 and I was in second with 3 ties with a bunch of other campers. John also had landed the biggest fish.

It was a slow start for me but it heated up quickly. The guys in our cabin gave us a tip on a big fish that was 20 miles from camp, and that they would not be returning to. John and I were alone again, as Tim was heading to his boat to get it towed in, so we decided to make the run.

When we got to the spot John raised the big girl on a cowgirl, and I got her to show herself on a throwback bait, but she would not commit. I took a quick look at the map and found some similar structure and we motored over to it. We fished the obvious points, but as had been the strategy all week, we fished a bit beyond it. All of a sudden I had a strike. I was beyond happy as I had little action since Sunday. I nice 39" ski was shortly in the boat.

Greg39.jpg

We went to same similar structure and John hooked another fish, but lost her.

Motored to another spot that we had seen, and I beat John to the spot on a cast and I landed another healthy 40" girl. I was really excited as it was my first fish on the 8. Unlike earlier fish, when I saw her following I sped up the bait and got her into the 8. She ate on the hesitation after the 3rd turn.

d7528973.jpg

Another spot and a crazy fish for John. She hooked up. John grabbed my throwback rod and tossed it out, and handed it to me. He then tossed out again and had her follow. He hooked her on the but she spat the hook. I saw that she was still on it and said "she's still on it". Finally she ate and was in the bag. A healthy 41"er

a1ade344.jpg

This fish was like a komikazee fish, committed to eating the bait. John also hooked another fish on the 8. She was 38"

Thinking the bit was hot was decided to head to a spot where we had seen a few big fish. Unfortunately these spots were in a lot of wind and we burnt the trolling motor. On the way in we though a lot of fish would have been caught. When we got in only a few fish had been caught. It turned out we had figured out an pattern, and never should have left the area.

At dinner Mark and Dave offered to take me out. Both John and I wanted to go with them, as we were neck and neck for most fish. We talked about it, but Tim was getting his boat towed to the dock by Mark, and we wanted him to go out, as we had a great day already. Tim was really happy. We went out without a trolling motor anyway. We were in search of another big fish, but we came up short.

It turned out that it was another slow night. When the results were tabulated John ended up with the big fish, and also won the tie break for most fish. He swept the honours.

Johnsweep.jpg

What we learned

Don't bring too many baits. We both had 100+ but only used a dozen and hooked fish on only 4.

Once you hook a fish try to repeat that pattern.

Practice the 8 and be prepared to throw double 10's. That is the only way to consistently catch fish. On LOTW is you do not have a double 10 being tossed in the boat at all times you will miss fish.

All in all it was a great week. The memories will last a lifetime, and I would go back in a heartbeat. I loved it. I learned that people who fish, even those that fish for a living, are great people.

I wanted to add in that there were only 2 baits all week that produced for us. Mike P. a member here, makes the handlbarz. If you contact him he can tie up a few of the special bucktails that we caught a whole bunch of fish on. The HoseJerk that I caught a bunch of fish on (and that I think I lost a monster on) is made by Sean Maher. I was just talking with him and Gagnon's may still have a few of his lures in stock.

Both guys are members of Muskies Canada. I have quickly learned that if you want to buy quality musky baits that catch fish buy them from people who fish for musky.