Trout opener

tonyb

With the opening of trout season just a couple of days away, it's time to break out the shoulder pads to combat the crowds on the rivers, or is it....

I have found that there are many other opportunities for trout that don't involve fishing the popular tributaries on opening day. If you think about the biology of the different trout species at this time of year, you can almost predict where they are going to be.

For Rainbow trout (steelhead) they will be finishing up their spawning rituals and returning back to the big lake to replinish themselves from their draining reproductive efforts. Mother nature has a way with timing and as the trout are returning from the spawning creeks and rivers, Smelt and Alewife are showing up in shallow sandy areas (that warm first in the spring) to start their spawning rituals. You can bet that the Rainbows aren't going to be too far away. This is an excellent time to fish at the rivermouths off of piers or breakwalls with small silver spoons and spinners. The best part is there is hardly any pressure on these fish and they are usually very hungry and aggressive.

I mentioned the spawning baitfish near shore, and in addition to the Rainbows, there will be Brown trout and Lake trout looking for an easy meal. Again, these fish will be in close to shore and well within casting distance for shore anglers.

If you have a boat, even better. Get out there and flatline or use in-line planer boards with long leads (up to 300' back) in 20' of water or less and hold on!

So just because the rivers are opening this weekend, if you can't stand the crowds, rest assured there is plenty of other opportunities for trout away from the crowds.

1000863mediumkg9.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YA TONY!!! THERES NO SKILL INVOLVED IN CATCHING A STEELHEAD ON SPAWNING GROUNDS!!! WOULD BE OUT IN THE LAKE FORSURE EXPECT FOR 1 LITTLE PROB!!! I DONT HAVE A BOAT YET LOL

MAYBE NEXT YEAR I'LL SEE YA OUT THERE ON THE BIG BLUE!!! TILL THEN I'LL TAG AS MANY STEELHEAD IN THE CREEKS AS I CAN SO ITS LESS FOR THE MEATHUNTERS LOL