new to Grand River area

disengulp

Hello folks! I'm new to the forum and looking for a bit of insight into fishing Grand River. I've only been in area 2 years and slowly been working up the grand from cockshutt bridge and have yet to even have a nibble. Now I hear there are pike in that river but I haven't seen anything larger than a goldfish. ANy thoughts?

You can find smallies basically all over the river but even more populated in the southern part. Walleye fishing can be great if ya know where to go aswell. Pike are in there but have never had much luck, just one to show for it.

Co-incidentally, I just got home from there. I usually go 3-4 nights a week, in the Caledonia to York area. Got 2 decent walleyes, 2 nice cats, a 1Lb largie and a carp. Plain worm on a #10 hook, or a white jig and body with a worm teaser. I love the Grand, especially since it wet wading time. Haven't had a ton of luck with the Mooneye on the fly-rod this year though... If you're planning on being in the Caledonia area, gimme a shout.

I've always wondered what the grand river walleye population is really like with so much pressure on them. I havent had much luck myself with walleye. Caught a few here and there and they were all on the smaller size.

I got 3 today , all 2 pounds +. I dont have much luck with them on lures, im sure some people do but i just throw a big worm

like mentioned you can catch pretty much anything in there....ive caught brown trout, smallies, walleye, carp, cats, pike and steelhead...just gotta do some research and exploring and you`ll do fine...i was out tonight in the grand and caught 17 smallies in 3 hours including 2 nice 3 pounders

The river fishing in Brantford is nothing short of fantastic! You just have to be willing to explore a little..Look for back eddies and deep holes..You find spots like that you find success.

Fished the grand my last couple times out, and it's sweet little side rivers & back eddies between Cambridge and Brantford. In 2 trips, caught 1 walleye, a billion smallmouth bass from 0.01 to 3lbs, 50 rock bass of all sizes, saw 2 pike caught by a guy drifting live sucker minnows, saw a rather large brown trout ignore every lure I own, and saw some rather large carp roaming. Every fishable opening I could walk or crawl into was productive. Good times!

Well today was a swing and a miss... walked from dam as far up as the golf course and tried dropping in there. even brought reinforcements ( my son and his friend) I tell ya folks very disheartening day :wallbash:

What are you using as bait?

For pike in the summer, large sucker minnows are your best bet.

For bass, top water lures, mister twisters, or the good old worm.

I find minnows or minnow imitations to be the best for walleye, but those are mostly caught when it's dark.

Dawn and dusk are by far the most productive times. Fishing is generally slow from noon until 5pm.

I like a white or yellow grub with a big clothespin spinner attached. Great fish locator, catches fish of all sizes/species anyday of the week. Rip it quick, even the walleyes like it fast most days.

Great thread.

Well I only get bass but will learn from what others post.

I get bass on 4" garlic finesse whom on drop shot, dragging it wading the river.

I get catfish on same rig only with live minnows.