Product Review - Ardent Edge pro

jedimaster

Ok so, I finally was able to give my new Ardent Edge pro a full on shakedown on the water. I was using the low gear ratio baitcaster paired up with a St.Croix Mojo Bass 7' crankbait rod. I was told to put all the brakes on and go from there. Its a similar setup to the curados with the little hat style braking system. Also was using 20 pound power pro. Anyway, I set the brakes, set the spool speed so the crankbait just started to fall and gave it a wing. Got a huge birds nest. I then started cranking the spool speed as tight as I could get it but I still couldn't cast it without a birds nest. Feeling a bit frutstrated and to be honest I was gonna put it away. I thought maybe I am casting too hard. So I eased off on the cast and pretty much just pitched it. Well all I can say is the results are unbelievable. I turned the spool speed back down to the point where it would just barely fall when you press the button and then a little bit tighter. Honestly I was so amazed by this real and how fast the spool is compared to all of my curados, from B's to E's.

I was literally amazed. Truley an awesome piece of kit. When you cast it you don't actually cast it like you would with a curado, its more of a pitch. The lure just shoots off the spool like a rocket. You know when you break a knot and you lure goes out a mile. Thats what its like. It does take some getting used to, and you can't cast it hard, but wow. Amazing. My second cast once I figured it out, went across a bay and halfway up into a tree. I am going to be listing all of my curados for sale shortly so keep an eye out. I just gotta work on the budget.

I have been a die hard curado guy for a long time, and have recommended them to everyone I talk to at any chance, but these reels are just astounding. The size feels in between the too smalle E and too big D. Anyway if you are in the market, check your budget and see if you can check out some of the Ardent lineup.

A common mistake for people who are use to spinning reels, who are trying a baitcaster is that on spinning reels the line falls of the spool, on baitcasters it has to unwind. The easy solution is to move your release point 90 degrees earlier instead of letting your cast go with the rod tip pointed at your target.

I am pretty new with bait casters and reluctant to spent big dollars for one. I did how ever pick up an Ardent C400 on clearance and am amazed how it casts.

I first wanted to over power or follow thru too much but soon realized with no brakes i can throw long distance with little effort. even with a 2 1/2inch x rap

My buddy and daughter were amazed how far i tossed my frog into the pads...Not sure how the fish would make it back to the boat from 50 yards back in pads :whistling:

Once i iron out the casters i have now i will upgrade to a nice one.