Stainless Prop Advice??

Weedman

Hi all,

We've been enjoying our '05 Crestliner Sport Angler that we bought slightly used last spring......great boat, handles extremely well....especially pleased with the performance of the 90hp Mercury Optimax that it came with the package. Just fires up and runs smooth on every outing. Also been running the standard aluminum prop, as was recommended for the first while, to get a feel for the handling of the boat. If I was to buy a quality stainless prop, to maximize all around performance (fishing, cruising, tubing), what should I be looking for. There seems to be a number of excellent choices out there, but not sure where to start......certainly, with the boat being a bit smaller and lighter, I'd like something with enuff bite to get the boat on plane quickly and also hoping not to break the bank......does anyone have some thoughts and/or experiences to share. Thanx in advance.....Paul

My advise would be to find a locking mechanism for it, or take it off the motor after every outing and place it under your pillow for safe keeping. :whistling:

They are easily stolen and very much a marketable commodity. Oh, and you'll love the performance you'll get from it!

HH

my 2 cents,

really not worth all that extra $$ for a stainless prop on motors less then 150hp, first of all you won't gain much on performance(max 2mph if that) and most importantly if you hit something hard with a stainless prop, you'll probably bend the prop shaft and or damage the lower end because the shafts on smaller outboard are not strong enough and stainless doesn't have much give in it,

on the other hand if you hit something with an aluminum prop, well most likely you'll just have to fix or replace the prop, no big $$.

The only advice I can give you about a stainless steel prop is don't hit a rock, thats very bad. ;)

I was just going to type the same thing, aluminum is more forgiving from what I understand.I have been told that if you hit something with a SS prop you could do a lot more damage to the lower unit.