2 questions

2 quick questions for the fly fishers.

My first is that I have a super cheap shakspeare fly reel that I would like to try to turn into a float reel, i understand it won't end up too smooth but I just want to get a feel for them. How would I do this?

The second is that I'm having trouble landing dry flies. I have always been able to fish them but lately the fly line has actually been sinking? Any theories?

Thanks, RHF.

Sometimes fly lines start to wear out and will sink near the tip section, there are two ways to fix this first clean your line with soap and warm water if that doesn't fix it you can use some dry fly floatant every few casts. Other than those you might just have to buy a new fly line.

Jacob

How old is the line?

As for the float reel thing,I believe it will be to small.

I have one in the classifieds for a great price.You can get your money back Im sure,if you decided you didnt like it,and wanted to resell it.

How old is the line?

As for the float reel thing,I believe it will be to small.

I have one in the classifieds for a great price.You can get your money back Im sure,if you decided you didnt like it,and wanted to resell it.

The line is only about 3/4 of a year old but heavily used.

The line is only about 3/4 of a year old but heavily used.

If it's sinking after a few casts it could be getting water in the core. Normally happens if you don't have a welded loop on the end, water will soak into the open end of the line otherwise you may have a crack in the coating. Can take a while to dry out, then seal it up with epoxy or aquaseal.

I would take a serious look at misfish's reel if you want to try pinning. You will never find a cheaper reel and you will be able to sell it for what he is asking. Your conversion would suck compared to his reel.

Thanks Staffman.

I would even meet up at BPS, if he was interested in buying it. Like I said,dont need to sell,but if it gets a young angler out there,it,s worth it. ;)

2 quick questions for the fly fishers.

My first is that I have a super cheap shakspeare fly reel that I would like to try to turn into a float reel, i understand it won't end up too smooth but I just want to get a feel for them. How would I do this?

The second is that I'm having trouble landing dry flies. I have always been able to fish them but lately the fly line has actually been sinking? Any theories?

Thanks, RHF.

I would trim back the fly line about 6 inches and make a new nail knot with a very short section of 20 lb test mono and add a perfection loop about 2 or 3 inches from the end of the fly line. It's evident that the outer coating on the fly line is cracked and water is soaking into the core of the fly line.

I also grease the end of my floating fly lines with a silicone grease.....the stuff that you use to waterproof leather boots. When fishing with very long fine leaders and tiny dry flies, I even grease the leader except the last 20 inches or so.

sorrym would you have the perfection loop attached to the leader or the nail knot?

Actually, you use a perfection loop at the end of the short piece starting at the nail knot and you have another perfection loop at the start of the leader. The loop to loop connection allows you to change leaders according to the size of the fly and wind conditions.

Under slight wind or calm conditions when using a size 20 fly or smaller, I often use leaders up to 18 feet long and a tippet strength of 3/4 to 1 lb test. It's great for those real big brook trout who wander around near the middle of the lake sipping tiny flies late in the summer. It's mostly a matter of spotting one feeding, paddling out in a canoe without making the slightest noise and casting delicately in front of the fish.

I use the Ritz method of making my fly leaders.