Need some thoughts on a solo fly in

bigcreekdad

I am thinking of doing a solo fly in somewhere. Not that I'm not fond of company, but in my mid 60's, I think I'd like one trip completely on my own...maybe searching for the meaning of life (LOL).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to outfitters that I might contact?

Please don't offer to join me....OTOH, if you are a female less than 35, please PM me.

I would go to Wabakimi with Pipestone Outfitters. They have a little 4 person max camp there.

http://www.pfo.net/wabakimi-lake-emo-ontario-canadian-fishing-trip.htm

My other idea is to fly in to Pipio, a small lake just off Shikag, but you would probably have to go to Ft Francis to get the flight. NWO has a crazy 4 man camp on this lake that does have access to Shikag.

http://www.northernwilderness.net/lakes/pipio-dasant

Check with a few outfitters to find a hole in their bookings so you can get a reasonable price. No special flights for only one person. You might have to be flexible. Also look for an outfitter with multiple outposts in an area that is serviced by one float plane.

When do you want to go? How many days/weeks?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

P.S. I'm off the water early tonight due to lightning out on the lake. I've been the only person in this camp several times, usually in late September or early October.

Edited by TennesseeGuy

Check with a few outfitters to find a hole in their bookings so you can get a reasonable price. No special flights for only one person. You might have to be flexible. Also look for an outfitter with multiple outposts in an area that is serviced by one float plane.

When do you want to go? How many days/weeks?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

P.S. I'm off the water early tonight due to lightning out on the lake. I've been the only person in this camp several times, usually in late September or early October.

Yea, Tennessee Guy is spot on. I'm betting that Tennessee Guy has already discovered the meaning of life by now, as many trips that he has made to his little slice of heaven. clapping.gif

I think that at this time of year, if you tried to contact the outfitters that I suggested, they would want a minimum party fee. You may want to contact as many of the quality options as possible and request to be on standby for a cancellation.

If you could jump on a cancellation and hop a float plane with another party that is staying close to a lake where you could get into, it may work. With the fires going on right now, there could be a number of cancellations as a particular lake may be under fire warning and the outfitter may want someone like you to protect his camp, if it is accessible.

Adventure. thumbsup_anim.gif

Yea, Tennessee Guy is spot on. I'm betting that Tennessee Guy has already discovered the meaning of life by now, as many trips that he has made to his little slice of heaven. clapping.gif

I think that at this time of year, if you tried to contact the outfitters that I suggested, they would want a minimum party fee. You may want to contact as many of the quality options as possible and request to be on standby for a cancellation.

If you could jump on a cancellation and hop a float plane with another party that is staying close to a lake where you could get into, it may work. With the fires going on right now, there could be a number of cancellations as a particular lake may be under fire warning and the outfitter may want someone like you to protect his camp, if it is accessible.

Adventure. thumbsup_anim.gif

Protect his camp? During a forest fire? I think he'd be paying me to go. LOL.

Protect his camp? During a forest fire? I think he'd be paying me to go. LOL.

I know of a group that was in Wabakimi several years back that were there when a fire was on the lake. The fire eventually made it to the peninsula that the cabin was on. They used the water pump and sprayed the roof of the cabin and surrounding area till the fire fighters got there saving the cabin. And yes, their trip was free as were a few more.

Maybe fly-in outpost isn't the best option. Some drive in or rail in camps have separate cabins away from the crowds. It would be cheaper and easier to plan.