Auto bilge pumps?

davew3

Good day folks. I currently have a 15.5 ft alum boat with a manual bilge. I am thinking of putting an auto in so I can leave the boat in the water for days, rain or shine.

The instructions say to put a three way switch in place so you can choose manual or auto.

So I ask. Is a switch necessary or can it just be left on auto? I don't know if this would put a constant drain on the battery.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards

Leave the existing wiring for manual operation.

Get a float switch, mount it in an un obstructed and suitable location in the bilge area.

One wire from float switch to + terminal of battery (use an in-line fuse)

Connect The other wire from float switch to live (+) wire of bilge pump.

Now you can turn the pump ON with your existing manual switch of it will also work automatically if the float switch activates due to water level in the bilge.

Edited by stonefish

I have a bilge pump control panel in my boat with 2 float switches, 2 pumps and the ability to go manual as well.

Here is a simple wiring diagram for wiring in as automatic with manual over ride.

BilgePumpWiring.jpg

My system just has an extra float switch and extra pump in case the main float switch fails.

The second automatic switch is mounted about an inch or so higher than the main switch so if the main switch or pump fails it closes when the water level is an inch or so above the level it should switch on if the main switch was working. The second switch also sets off an alarm on my dash to let me know that the primary switch or pump has failed. When the switch is in the manual osition both pumps turn on.

The bypass switch is a double throw, single pole center off switch. Center the bilge pumps are turned off when the boat is on the trailer/ out of the water, auto for when the boat is left in the water and auto when needed.

BackupBilge.jpg

Bilge control panel is just above my radio.

new.jpg

Edited by DRIFTER_016