manitou lake

workwear

hey guys...plannin on goin up to manitou lake next week.....i was wondering what type of bait....lures work up there..hot colours...this sort of info.....plan on targeting walleye's....

better to jig for them or troll for them.....any info would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by workwear

Can't help with the fishing presentation...but if you want a base of operation the sis-in-law owns Manitoulin Resort!.. if that is the manitou you're talking about. Thought it was a laker and perch lake..

Edited by irishfield

Can't help with the fishing presentation...but if you want a base of operation the sis-in-law owns Manitoulin Resort!.. if that is the manitou you're talking about. Thought it was a laker and perch lake..

lol, there is only about thirty of them in Ontario.

Upper and lowere Manitou, Manitou Rapids, Manitou lake etc etc...

I guess thats why alot of people assume I'm from Manitoulin, sounds similar

i guess you guys are right....im stayin at manitou lake lodge...just north of nippising ..south of lady evelyn...web site is http://manitoulakelodge.ca/ ...was told its 4 hrs drive from toronto...

looking round the web i see its a multi specie's lake...from trout to walleye's...to giant pike and muskie's...now im not sure where bouts on the lake we are...

I don't reply to posts, mainly because I have nothing to offer to the discussion but in this case I might be able to help.

The Manitou you are referring to has mainly lake trout and smallmouth bass. I usually fish Emerald Lake which is just up the road from Manitou.

There are many lakes in the area but the only one that I know of with walleye is Gull Lake. Never been there but I have been told that the drive in is "rough" from local guys. If you have a 4x4 you don't mind beating up I'm sure the lodge owner would point you in the right direction.

If you plan on fishing Manitou, lake trout should be high enough that you don't need downriggers or lead core line to catch them. I have caught them in the spring on spoons but most of the time I use a lake troll of some kind with a threaded minnow on a treble hook. With normal tackle I use the smallest one I can find.

Hope this helps.

The HWY 805 corridor has been one of my playgrounds for about 25 years, Lake Manitou has no Walleye to offer and especially not MUSKIES !... Expect Lakers and OOS Smallmouth ...

You now have a choice... you can go back south on Hwy 805 and fish Grassy that has a healthy Pike population, Tee and Silver Lakes have Walleye..

you may also go north on Hwy 805 and fish Emerald Lk for more Lakers, you may continue on to a stretch of the Sturgeon River that has countless Walleye and Sauger holes.

Take the Obabika (technically no legal access route into Obabika , massive Pike, Lakers closed indefinitely) fork and this will take you passed Greenrod (Pike & Perch ), the road REALLY gets rough from here , 4x4 with clearance or ATV you can go in with 2WD P/U but that's asking for trouble .

From here you have a choice of many lakes ,Rachel( Lakers & Smallies ), Secret(Pike Perch,Smallies),Lower Bass(Smallies & Lakers).....

The road into Gull Lk is INSANELY rough... there is the Lower Bass / Gull Lk fork ( Google Maps will show you a detailed map ), the lakes I've listed above are not on Gull Lk Rd, but up to the LB fork and beyond to LB.

These are.

Cummings (Lakers and Smallies ) don't waste your time , Gull ( Trophy Walleye ,Lakers, Smallies, Whitefish, Cisco, Sucker and the elusive Speck , I dare you to catch one), RedBark (Specks) , Longbow (Walleye), Hebert (Specks).

And at the very end of the road Lake Temagami it's like a really big version of Gull, you may have heard of it. :whistling:

The HWY 805 corridor offers fantastic fishing and sightseeing , the list I gave you only scratches the surface..

But as for making it up from TO in 4 hours NOPE! try a little more than 5 and a bit..Manitou is an hour away from my place and I can't make it to Aurora in 3.

If you want more specifics send me a PM... Have a good time , just might see you there.

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon