on line shopping in Canada

kickingfrog

Yes, on-line shopping can be frustrating, but can be mitigated somewhat.

When I see something I absolute have to get, I get it shipped to a drop-ship place in Niagara Fall NY and go pick it up myself. I am there every couple of months for family anyway, whole process take less than an hour and only costs about $5 an item. THe only thing is that it is somewhat of a pain to wait to go pick it up when it is something I am really wanting to get my hands on.

ANother thing that is confusing is the whole duties/customs/taxes thing. I've never had to pay duties/customs fees, but always declare the item and pay my taxes.

article brings up great and frustrating points. the internet is like a carrot on a stick, we have exposure to the american's fantastic price and selection but in many cases can't purchase the item or it gets cost prohibitive for other fees.

customs fees can be mitigated or avoided with careful shopping/shipping. unfortunately customs fees often appear as a 'surprise' compared to similar purchases.

duty is a rarity these days. pay it on remarkably few items.

there is a still a huge, unexplainable gap in canadian/american pricing. lawnmower is 349 here 189 in the states. ridiculous.

recent buying experience required almost 20$ in shipping for an envelope sized item from the states.

bought similar item off ebay from asia, shipped for 2.50$.

online shopping is a great way to do business, needs some tweaking on this side of the border for sure.

I purchased something for my Truck from the US on March 7th. Still haven't received it. First and last time I buy something to be shipped to Canada. IN 2012 we should not be having issued moving product.

I liked the article. eCommerce is a fickle biz model to say the least, especially here in Canada. Lots of leaning curves through trail and error over the few years I've been doing it.

As an online retailer I love the challenge of eCommerce and I love competition, it breeds creativity.

As a consumer, our family shops online a lot more now then ever. Just got our girls their baseball gloves and cleats shipped to our front door for a great deal and $10 bucks shipping.

I like the "Carrot on a Stick" analogy above when it comes to US pricng and products. So true, I hear about it often.

Thanks for posting the article.

Edited by Harrison