What's your Must Have Checklist When in Bush

mirogak

I've been reading some of Kevin Callan's books on canoe trips in Ontario. He states that the piece of equipment which is forgotten the most is a set of "Oven" mitts for getting the hot cookware aff of the fire / stove. I use a set of heavy duty welders gloves. They work great and are also good for tending the fire at night.

Don't forget your Camping Permit!

For a lot of the canoe in camping (Haliburton Highlands, Kawartha Highlands) you book your site on line and then print off your permit. There is no check in at the campground. You just head into your site. The camp warden may pay you a visit and ask for your permit. It also helps resolve conflicts if someone else is on your campsite.

My buddy just bought a dutch oven and plans to use it for camping this summer. I've been looking into them and they seam to be a great piece of cookware for camping. Anyone else use this style of pot? Any other cooking pot suggestions?

They are great, get a cast iron one with a strong bail handle for lifting, set it in the fire, use it like a crock pot/slow cooker. Travelling light, a roll of heavy weight tin foil can be used to cook a lot of stuff in a open fire.

edit: check the images to get an idea, I make them up before leaving and freeze, you are good to go for a long weekend.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tin+foil+dinners&hl=en&rlz=1T4GZGN_enCA451CA451&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OcTAT5PMKon-6gGS6fzXCg&ved=0CHAQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=878

Edited by dave524