Upgrading Electronics

hutch4113

So...looks like I just bought a new boat (2008 Smokercraft 182 Pro Mag) and I am already thinking of upgrades. The unit currently installed on the boat is strictly depth sounder/fish finder - Lowrance X-125. Based on the space available it looks like I can fit a Lowrance HDS-5...and they are selling them with a LSS-1 for side scanning. The package looks pretty decent actually.

First - Anyone use these 2 units together? Thoughts comments?

Second - How difficult are they to install? I am thinking the HDS-5 should just connect...from what I can tell, it uses the same transducer, etc. The GPS antenna will just mount on the dash..and that is pretty much done. But not sure about the LSS-1 unit.

I also want to be able to put another unit up by the trolling motor (not this year) so want to make sure I leave my upgrade options open.

Thanks in advance (will post pictures of the boat once it is really mine...hahahahahaha).

So...looks like I just bought a new boat (2008 Smokercraft 182 Pro Mag) and I am already thinking of upgrades. The unit currently installed on the boat is strictly depth sounder/fish finder - Lowrance X-125. Based on the space available it looks like I can fit a Lowrance HDS-5...and they are selling them with a LSS-1 for side scanning. The package looks pretty decent actually.

First - Anyone use these 2 units together? Thoughts comments?

Second - How difficult are they to install? I am thinking the HDS-5 should just connect...from what I can tell, it uses the same transducer, etc. The GPS antenna will just mount on the dash..and that is pretty much done. But not sure about the LSS-1 unit.

I also want to be able to put another unit up by the trolling motor (not this year) so want to make sure I leave my upgrade options open.

Thanks in advance (will post pictures of the boat once it is really mine...hahahahahaha).

Is the LSS-1 still available? If so that is a good option due to the smaller transducer. If you have the room for the longer transducer the LSS HD is a better setup looking at released pics.

If you don't have a jackplate or step the LSS HD transducer will probably get blocked by the skeg of the motor even with trimming it up quite a bit.

Size difference:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/03/sonar_wars_navico_structurescan_hd_humminbird_360.html

If you want the LSS unit I would definitely recommend something bigger than the 5 as your main unit. Good thing is down the road you could get a 7 or 8 and then move the 5 to the bow.

LSS-1 should be easy to install, but you need room to mount a second transducer at the back of the boat, and room to install the LSS box somewhere. Running power should be straight forward but its a good idea to have it installed on a switch so it isn't on all the time.

Adding a second HDS unit is easy you just need an ethernet cable to run from it to the other HDS, or the LSS if you have it as its also an ethernet hub.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/StructureScan/System/

Is the LSS-1 still available? If so that is a good option due to the smaller transducer. If you have the room for the longer transducer the LSS HD is a better setup looking at released pics.

If you don't have a jackplate or step the LSS HD transducer will probably get blocked by the skeg of the motor even with trimming it up quite a bit.

Size difference:

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2012/03/sonar_wars_navico_structurescan_hd_humminbird_360.html

If you want the LSS unit I would definitely recommend something bigger than the 5 as your main unit. Good thing is down the road you could get a 7 or 8 and then move the 5 to the bow.

LSS-1 should be easy to install, but you need room to mount a second transducer at the back of the boat, and room to install the LSS box somewhere. Running power should be straight forward but its a good idea to have it installed on a switch so it isn't on all the time.

Adding a second HDS unit is easy you just need an ethernet cable to run from it to the other HDS, or the LSS if you have it as its also an ethernet hub.

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/StructureScan/System/

Ya..the LSS-1 is still available. Lowrance is offering a $300 rebate if you buy a second generation HDS and the LSS-1 together. In terms of size of the HDS...I would like a bigger unit. But for the life of me, I can't see where I could mount it on the boat. The 5 will probably just fit.

So I will probably start with the 5, and then as you suggest move it up to the trolling motor, once I figure out the cockpit layout.

I have to check with Lowrance, but I believe it was extended to the end of May. Bass Pro is still advertising it anyway...gonna ask them too before I do anything.

Oups...now they are not advertising....darn....guess I missed it.