Down Rigger Help??

outdoor

So I've just got my new boat and installed 2 Scotty riggers. I've never fished with riggers before and am looking for some advice on use, any tricks. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to play with them. I'll be launching under the Hamilton Skyway, any areas or depths I should be targeting? Spoons Flies??? Sorry guys, I'm just really new to this but I value the advice I get from the board.

You could certainly fish out of the pier, but I'd recommend you focus your efforts where the warmer water temperatures are now along the South Shore (and the majority of fish!). Anywhere from Grimsby east to the Niagara River will produce better results than in the Western Basin off Fishermans Pier right now.

Spoons off the downriggers, and you could flatline or use planer boards to pull some diving crankbaits. I'd guess anywhere from 20-50fow and look for coloured water as opposed to crystal clear water...the fish will be less wary and more likely to hit.

Good luck! and have fun learning the ropes with the new downrigger setup.

So I've just got my new boat and installed 2 Scotty riggers. I've never fished with riggers before and am looking for some advice on use, any tricks. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to play with them. I'll be launching under the Hamilton Skyway, any areas or depths I should be targeting? Spoons Flies??? Sorry guys, I'm just really new to this but I value the advice I get from the board.

I'm in exact same boat( not literally) . Let me know what you find out.

great advice from Tony

there's lots of other sites full of great info that will help shorten the learning curve too ( I wont post the links here, but if you PM ill send em too you)

also sharing a boat with an experienced troller helps as does taking in some of the various seminars held at local club meetings, tackle shops & shows

dont give up a on the Lake O trolling, its a phenominal fishery once you get dialed in

If you haven't got releases yet.

I swear by hte Offshore Releases.

They grip really well and the fact that they are on vinyl coated wire intead of being connect right to the ball or between the ball and cable make it much easier to detect shaker bites.

I usually replace the wire with longer wire to make them even more sensitive.

I use my 60# wire I make my pike leaders from. You could also use 80# mono. ;)

Offshore Releases

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Head towards grimsby, fish anywhere between 30-70fow. I would start trolling right out of Hamilton, there are fish being caught on the north shore as we speak, people just aren't talking about it yet. King of the Lake tournament is this week so there should be lots of boats to fishing that you can follow.

Its has been mostly a spoon bite lately. I recommend running real long leads off one rigger (like 100ft back) and a real short lead on the other (5ft-15ft). Once fish start hitting one then adjust your entire spread.

I have been on the water the last three weeks and the long lead has been the ticket. Last week the ticket was 45fow down 35-42ft with long leads and bright spoons (Mixed vegetable, etc.). Things change day to day though. Fish are there, have fun and mix it up.

If you have any questions just fire me a PM.

Cheers!

Oh ya, Scottys are awesome.

Thanks Guys, I tried to get out on Sunday but got blow off, going to try it again this weekend. I've got a basic understanding how to use the riggers, I'm sure once I get it sorted out it will be worth the investment. Thanks again

They are catching stuff in anywhere from 15-70FOW You don't have to go super deep.. What you need to look for as it was mentioned before is the stained and warmer water.. If you find big bait balls, make a way point and start dissecting the area. Catch a fish, make a way point. You'll setup a milk run of sorts...