Fishing Jamaica

Doctrt

Hi Guys,

I'm heading to Jamaica for some fun in the the sun and I always like to do some fishing when I get away to these places. I've fished Mexico, DR, and Cuba before from shore (with limited success), and I usually go out on a charter (where I've always had good luck). I'll be staying at the Gran Bahai Principe in Runaway Bay. I know there have been similar posts in the past, but I'm looking for advice/info that is recent or specific to this spot. As always, thanks in advance.

Tim

Just got back from that resort mid-March. Had some great feedback from a few other posters, you could try to dig it up.

My experience:

There are many places to fish.

One place is a pier that extends out from where the Catamarans and Kayaks are. At the end of that rocky pier (wear stiff shoes) you get into some deeper water. Using shrimp and other bait that you can get from the restaurants, we caught a number of 2-3 pound fish which the workers from the Hotel gladly took from us.

The second place we did well was next to the Beach restaurant (where they serve Jerk Chicken). There is a place with a walkway with white wooden railings leading to a set of stairs leading into a deep part of the ocean. We actually got into some barracuda there. To catch barracuda, we set up a live fish that we caught as bait under a float. Also saw a large black stingray jump 10 feet into the air there.

The third place we fished was the pier that is to the left of the Wedding Gazebo. There is tons of structure there (reason why people snorkel around that place) and it gets to about 20 feet deep. This is the best place to fish and despite the snorkeling, there is plenty of space for all with none of the staff minding that we were there.

We stuck to using bait as we had little luck with artificials.

Tips:

There are 2 restaurants for Breakfast - the larger main buffet that opens at 7am, and a smaller one that opens at 7:30am. Go to the smaller one - it was never busy and the food is the same.

If you want coffee before 7am (as we tend to get up early to fish), there is a self serve station at the bar next to the Lobby.

I highly recommend bringing snorkel gear for the whole family (good snorkeling in the bay between the catamarans and wedding gazebo). My kids 8 and 5 loved to snorkel. Also bring lots of suntan lotion ($22 per bottle at the resort), tylenol/meds, medical insurance (insurance covered our $278 bill for a 20 minute doctor's visit for my son's very high fever/cough - which luckily went away after 24 hours) and $1 US bills for tips/bait.

Have fun!

Edited by fisher

Just got back from that resort mid-March. Had some great feedback from a few other posters, you could try to dig it up.

My experience:

There are many places to fish.

One place is a pier that extends out from where the Catamarans and Kayaks are. At the end of that rocky pier (where stiff shoes) you get into some deeper water. Using shrimp and other bait that you can get from the restaurants, we caught a number of 2-3 pound fish which the workers from the Hotel gladly took from us.

The second place we did well was next to the Beach restaurant (where they serve Jerk Chicken). There is a place with a walkway with white wooden railings leading to a set of stairs leading into a deep part of the ocean. We actually got into some barracuda there. To catch barracuda, we set up a live fish that we caught as bait under a float. Also saw a large black stingray jump 10 feet into the air there.

The third place we fished was the pier that is to the left of the Wedding Gazebo. There is tons of structure there (reason why people snorkel around that place) and it gets to about 20 feet deep. This is the best place to fish and despite the snorkeling, there is plenty of space for all with none of the staff minding that we were there.

We stuck to using bait as we had little luck with artificials.

Tips:

There are 2 restaurants for Breakfast - the larger main buffet that opens at 7am, and a smaller one that opens at 7:30am. Go to the smaller one - it was never busy and the food is the same.

If you want coffee before 7am (as we tend to get up early to fish), there is a self serve station at the bar next to the Lobby.

I highly recommend bringing snorkel gear for the whole family (good snorkeling in the bay between the catamarans and wedding gazebo). My kids 8 and 5 loved to snorkel. Also bring lots of suntan lotion ($22 per bottle at the resort), tylenol/meds, medical insurance (insurance covered our $278 bill for a 20 minute doctor's visit for my son's very high fever/cough - which luckily went away after 24 hours) and $1 US bills for tips/bait.

Have fun!

Thank you for your report. I'll be going to Discovery Bay in August so i'm going to try my luck there. Did you only fish in the mornings?

Nick

Thank you for your report. I'll be going to Discovery Bay in August so i'm going to try my luck there. Did you only fish in the mornings?

Nick

Mornings and some afternoons for me. Wish I tried some night fishing but was too tired by the time night came.