Sail for a sportspal

Rod Caster

Within the next two weeks I'm bringing my 14ft Sportspal to BWmarine in North Bay for some upgrades: A few patches, permanent seats, a yoke, new foam. So far my impression of the crew at BW is great. Very accomodating and willing to take on any challenge...with confidence!

Looking through their website, I see a sail option for this canoe...intriguing

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/sail_kit.htm

Has anyone tried this with their sportspal? In some situations this would be an easy way to cross a couple lakes...in other situations it might be a pain in the butt and cumbersome... if it's just used for leisure, it could be a fun thing to do with the gf! Any thought?

Within the next two weeks I'm bringing my 14ft Sportspal to BWmarine in North Bay for some upgrades: A few patches, permanent seats, a yoke, new foam. So far my impression of the crew at BW is great. Very accomodating and willing to take on any challenge...with confidence!

Looking through their website, I see a sail option for this canoe...intriguing

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/sail_kit.htm

Has anyone tried this with their sportspal? In some situations this would be an easy way to cross a couple lakes...in other situations it might be a pain in the butt and cumbersome... if it's just used for leisure, it could be a fun thing to do with the gf! Any thought?

You will need the side motor mount so that you can put the paddle into it for steering.

I've been using my 14 foot pointed Sportspal for over 30 years and I still love it. I lent it out once a couple of years after buying it and the guy punctured a hole in it. I don't lend it anymore. I fixed the hole with aluminum sticky tape and it has held for close to 30 years.

Yes....my old Sportspal now lets water seep in a bit. I will have to seal it up with some Lepage PL Premium glue. I paid 279 dollars for it and I guess if I total how much it cost per day of use, I would say about 25 cents per day on the water.

I prefer the foam seats. I just double the bottom of the foam seats so I'm a bit taller in the saddle....lol. Sitting a bit lower is more stable and when you have a lower profile, the fish do not see you as well. I do a lot of fly fishing for brook trout and my casts don't have to be long. The higher you sit, the further away you have to cast.

You mean like this...

2007_0805Image0074.JPG

My dad bought the canoe with the sail kit decades ago. The pic is my brothers taking it for a sail a few years ago. Works quite well.

You will need the side motor mount so that you can put the paddle into it for steering.

I prefer the foam seats. I just double the bottom of the foam seats so I'm a bit taller in the saddle....lol. Sitting a bit lower is more stable and when you have a lower profile, the fish do not see you as well. I do a lot of fly fishing for brook trout and my casts don't have to be long. The higher you sit, the further away you have to cast.

That mount came with the canoe when I bought it, so I should be ok for steering.

I hate the foam seats to be honest. What I do now, is I take the bottom part of the foam seat (rip off the backrest) and put a comfy/padded boat seat on top of it. Captain's chair!! I sit a little higher, but it's still stable enough to navigate waves.

I should mention, for funny sake, that I found my captains chair on the side of the hwy one early morningwhistling.gif

Not a paddle on the side...it's more like a yoke that hangs over the canoe, with blades like that on both sides.

I HAVE THAT SAIL!! Somehow, the rest of the kit got misplaced or disappeared....I blame my dad on one of his cleaning binges. Well, I don't BLAME him....but I hold him responsible.

Any how....I'm 99% sure that I have the sail, so if you want it, I'd be happy to work something out. Trade for gear, beer, the locations of certain back lakes.... whistling.gif

Fire me a PM if I can help ;)

thumbsup_anim.gif Right on Johnny. I'll shoot you a pm tonight to hash things out.

With the Manufacturer being in NBay, I could easily get the hardware, so if I can save on a sail itself that would be great.

Joey is gonna have a beech of time casting with that sail in his face laugh.gif

Yes, that's the one. What's with paddle on the side of the canoe? Is that how its supposed to be setup? Do you think it could be used for serious travel across a lake, or mostly for leisure?

Those are stabilizers, one goes down each side. It takes the place of a keel on a sailboat, otherwise the sail will pull you right over.

I sailed the thing plenty of times as a kid, with a good wind it gets going pretty good. Not really set-up well for fishing though, with the mast and the boom and the stabilizers, there's not alot of room for casting or your gear.