The Muzzling of Science

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Next will come the war on drugs

will come? we've been waging that losing battle since prohibition and we are presently introducing minimum mandatory sentencing for as little as 6 marijuana plants. good luck running a drug business on that. i'm nauseated thinking about the amount of young lives this type of legislation will destroy.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Currently the cost of keeping a federal inmate locked up for one year is $120K. The fiscal side of it alone should be enough to bring sanity to our drug laws let alone the ruination of peoples lives for a herb. The issues of turning our country into a lockup is fed by the same crowd that claims crime is up. Crime is down, massively so and it's violent crime that is down the most. What the authorities need to do is emphasize white collar crime where enforcement is lax often due to an inability of our police to comprehend the crimes and how they are perpetrated. Bringing it back to the science topic I consider deliberately and knowingly poisoning a major fishery a crime. Further, cover ups that obfuscate the condition of foodstuffs sold to international trading partners is a deliberate and large scale fraud. Our cops should be investigating but my bet is they would not know where to start. Having the Feds intimidate and muzzle the scientists most in the know about the actual goings on in our salmon fisheries is obstruction of justice. In a functioning democracy the cops would be on this case independently but I guess that's too much to ask when an ex PM can accept $100 K in cash, twice, for influence peddling without it being a crime. Or a finance minister can sell a steamship line for over $300 Million and still claim a tax return that shows a government salary as his only income. Or a whole government that sets up an inquiry that from the outset gives every government member immunity, appoints lawyers out the ying yang and results in a boondoggle of little impact that costs more than the actual scandal itself. Or an unqualified consultant who hooks up with the Defense Dept, waltzes with over $100 Million, gets caught, gets sentenced to 2 years less a day, gets out and no one requires that he produce the stolen money before he walks. I've said it before...we are doomed.