big jon line counter springs?

ch312

one of my riggers has a broken line counter spring so i went online to find a replacement. apparently this is rather common as they have a habit of falling off and getting caught somewhere before being stretched out. rather than purchasing new ones and waiting for it to happen again, i was wondering if there's something people have been using instead of these springs. i was thinking a tight rubber band would work, but the sun would probably trash one in no time.

any ideas other than carrying spare springs? mod it to prevent the springs from coming off in the first place?

O RING

one of my riggers has a broken line counter spring so i went online to find a replacement. apparently this is rather common as they have a habit of falling off and getting caught somewhere before being stretched out. rather than purchasing new ones and waiting for it to happen again, i was wondering if there's something people have been using instead of these springs. i was thinking a tight rubber band would work, but the sun would probably trash one in no time.

any ideas other than carrying spare springs? mod it to prevent the springs from coming off in the first place?

Edited by willey

I always worry about the counter being accurate without using the proper spring, ie if there is any slide or slippage, grimsby bait has them in stock or I am sure talltales in cambridge has them as well, I keep an extra in the boat just for such occasion