How to make an Alabama Rig

Nipfisher

I realise these rigs catch fish, and, are all the rage, but...I have no desire to ever fish with one. Just my opinion :)

I agree 100%. A pickeral rig (with 2 hooks) is challenging enough for me. Just thought someone else might find it useful.

If there is ever a lake around here filled to the brim with emerald shiners (or any other type of bait that schools) then these might come in useful.

For now, I doubt it will be the next big bass killer.

The Alabama Rig has become pretty popular. I know that lot's of serious bass guys have come into the store and have already bought many of them, seeing somebody walk away with 2 or 3 too. I bought a couple and I'm going to give them a try this summer when I'm out in Eastern Ontario. This will be perfect there as the deeper water close to weedlines and all the rockwall fishing. One thing last year I noticed is how many schools of minnows are out there...scanning the surface in the mornings and casting to schools of something busting on the surface would produce the odd bass or pike.

A trent with big bass out that way I noticed is that I could find good numbers of fish over 15ft and 20ft of water and would normally catch them with a popper. Situations like the rock walls where fish will get pushed up against them will be a good area to start.

Shallow water on Scugog...different story.

I hope I'll catch a few more fish out there this summer with the new swimbait rig.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

The concept, though not new, makes sense IMO.

I can picture alot of water these rigs should shine. We'll see, I'll have some video of it soon targeting some other species.

Looking forward to throwing it on Lake Ontario and Simcoe for smallies and deep largies.

As for the bog Sinclair, there are a few areas these could rock, especailly for them green smallies.

There is a smaller version I have that I think the Perch will eat up, especailly on Simcoe. we'll see.

Edited by Harrison