Pigeon Lk (not the Kawartha Pigeon) derby, south of Minden

chris.brock

cold morning, I was riding the sled over before the sun came up to secure the spot where the other guys caught big ones last year. Me and my Dad were 1st to the spot and spread out tip-ups and gear etc to mark out territory. The guys from last year showed up and crowded in on us from the one side. The guy was complaining his buddies didn't get up early enough so they could get the spot. They had about 16 people fishing.

I marked only 4 fish all day, 3 didn't even stop to look at the minnow, the 1st one, around 9am tapped the minnow twice, moved off and hit the tip-up 50 feet down the shore. I felt it, set the hook, but the fish must have had the minnow by the tail, no hook -up, that was it for the day for us

the guys beside us again won with a 2.8lbs and a 2.3lbs laker, 1st and second place

136 guys, 12 fish entered

we got gift certificate prizes of $40 and $60, so that's not bad but a pretty disappointing day

it's a smaller, stocked lake, they put in about 500 fish every 2nd year, it's easy access for people to walk out and fish

you can fish where ever you like, ATV's and sleds are allowed, 2 lines per guy

if you do catch even a tiny laker, you know you will be in the prizes

it supports the Minden Volunteer Fire Dept., always a fun day, I just get competitive

johnnyb- it's great up there in the winter, way quieter than the summer season