Penn-Peer 109

davey buoy

They are an inexpensive reel but very good reels for trolling. It came out in the late 50's and was discontinued early 2000's. Which spool do you have on yours? There were plastic, brass and more recently aluminum spools. Parts are available. I like them...for heavy line trolling they're good.

They are an inexpensive reel but very good reels for trolling. It came out in the late 50's and was discontinued early 2000's. Which spool do you have on yours? There were plastic, brass and more recently aluminum spools. Parts are available. I like them...for heavy line trolling they're good.

It is spooled with heavy green line.Looking at the sides of the spool it looks very shiny.Not plastic or brass I believe.Has a chrome type finish.

I have one of those reels and 3 other similar ones. Great reels for heavy duty trolling. I use them mostly for deep saltwater ice fishing. I have used wire line, lead core line, and now use 30 to 40 lb braid on them for deep water fishing.

Stay away from using mono or fluorocarbon line on them because when you reel in a big fish caught in 350 of water, the pressure build up from the elastic line can warp the reel beyond repair.

I had a bakelite reel made by Penn almost explode from the pressure....lol. The other bakelite reel that I have now has 40 lb Tuf Line braid on it.

Edited by Dabluz

Iv'e been using the Penn 209 for years and it's a bull-stud, no nonsense reel. Took months and mega-back lashes before it taught me how to cast with-it packed w/30 lb, 30 feet. Oil it and back-off the clutch each fall and it's ready to use the next year. Penn makes great reels.

Love em for trolling for Musky and for trolling Lakers/Brookies deeper with Lead-Core ... also they have proven very reliable as a rigger reel with a consistent/smooth drag. (I have 4 of the 209's)... a couple of which saw alot of salmon action back in the '80's and are still in the same condition now as when I got them 30+ years ago. But I must admit to never having become very effective at casting with them :)