Virginia Beach

Locnar

So, I know Cook's Bay's Ice is still solid, how is Virginia Beach? I want to go there on Sunday with my brother in hopes of Jumbos, maybe a pike if we're lucky. I have been lucky on Cook's Bay, but every time I go with my bro we only get dinky perch and maybe 1 jumbo. Any tips? I would really like to see him pull out some nice perch, by mid day of all dinks he gets mopey. I am not looking for your special spots if that is what you are thinking. I have never been to Virginia beach and any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and we got tons.... of dinks... only 6 over 8".

I have been going up there for years, what I noticed is the jumbos start coming in later in the season. I don't how this winter weather has affected the ice bite, but I am sure everything is delayed big time.

I would suggest looking for deeper water, on average you will find the deeper areas being around 8 feet, ideally try to fish 11 feet or deeper.

The majority of success I have had was on small spoons, jigs (mostly ones that I have tied) or tubes. All tipped with shiners about 2"-3".

When I went a couple of weeks ago we were given tiny shiners 1-1 1/2" in length, which i think accounted for the number of dinks.

I went last week and Rap. jiggin raps (perch) and swedish pimple's worked the best. The spoon really brought the jumbo's in. VB is very clear so you can see them underneath you. Jigg,jigg and pound the mud a little and set the hook. Good luck.

Nick