humminbird ICE 55

wormdunker

I know this topic has been discussed here before but now I'm down to making a decision to purchase an ice finder. I've narrowed my choice to 2 units. I like the Humminbird Ice 55 flasher, but the Showdown has good features as well. Ice 55 flasher looks awesome as u can see your bait moving up & down as U jig & a fish coming up to grab it. Showdown has the dual beam transducer. Is this an important feature? I also like how U can zoom in on a 5' area any where in the water column on both units. Help me out guys/girls. Tell me what u like/dislike about your unit. Have to make a decision before the M & G on Saturday. R they easy to operate? I'm of the older generation, not too familiar with modern electronics. Thanx for your input in advance.

I'll I can tell you is that I have a Marcum LX-5 and it blows away my buddy's Showdown. He admitted he's on the verge of buying one himself.

You'll get a lot of great use out of either of the units you mentioned though. All high-end flashers are good.

The dual beam transducer is good if you fish deep water...you can narrow your sonar cone so that you're not reading too big an area at bottom.

One advantage of the LX-5 over the others is that you can zoom into any portion of the water column you want...not just the bottom. It's a handy feature when fish are suspending.

Wormdunker,

I have a showdown 5.6 and my wife has the Ice45, and although I do like my showdown and have had it for 4 years now, my next purchase will definetly be the Ice 55! Has a few more bells and whistles than the 45 and I have used one out on Quinte. They are awesome!

Having said that if I win the lottery, I would also look at the Marcum LX 7 which gives you the best of both worlds!

Cheers,

EL

Wormdunker,

I have been sponsored by both Vexilar and Lowrance and always had the latest unit on the hard water with me. I now have a ICE 55 and absolutely love it. You can zoom anywhere on the water column and it also has a dual beam transducer... you can also change the colour spectrum to better see fish laying on bottom in deep water.... awesome unit and for the price and quality you can't go wrong.

Greg.