Ice Bungalows

Bear

Yep, this will be our fourth year out of South Shore. Our crew usually take up 2 units on the weekend closest to the opener. Cara and Garnett are great hosts, excellent service and units are always clean and functional. Most years we land 20 to 30 good fish. Last year was tough because of a violent cold front that showed up the Friday we arrived, they had to build a wooden bridge to get us over the 2 ft. gap in the ice. You gotta book early though, they're likely over 80% booked for the coming year.

Oh no worries there. These guys have been dealing with pressure cracks forever up on Nipissing. It's all part of the experience. We weren't worried at all, just interesting to know the ice moves like that on occasion. We were awoken at about 3 am one year when a big crack came across the lake overnight that sounded like a freight train. It was incredible, and it just shook the bungalow a little. We found it the following day, maybe 2 inches across.

We had a crack that sounded like it came right under the hut one night. What an eerie sound. I got used to it pretty quick. Never had a 2 foot gap though. The boys I was with brought a keg, so I cant help you out too much with the fishing info.

Edited by verno

It is crazy on big bodies of water such as Simcoe or Nipissing how much the ice seperates. Last winter on Simcoe while hunting whiteys 11km out , the ice pulled apart a few days earlier and pushed back in , resulting in a wall of ice 10 feet high , about 3km long(or more)

iceburgs.jpg

Bring on the ice!! :Gonefishing: