Bluegills

I love a feed of Bluegills. They are pretty much the only fish I keep in the summer months when I want fish. However I have never made a point of targeting them through the ice. Mainly because I enjoy eating perch more and I chase them all winter. But I have been getting the urge for some winter gills from the Kawartha's.

Anybody out there targeting them or getting them with any consistency? I'd love to hear from you if you are. PM me if you wanna keep it quiet. And thx to all for any help I might receive.

I would suggest trying close to the main basin, but not neccesarily in the basin, with anything from small spoons and jigging raps to teardrop jig heads tipped with either a small minnow head or a couple waxies. I like to drill holes until I find a good weed bed, and set up on the edge of the weeds.

Be careful on Pigeon. It's not a well travelled lake in the winter, especially so far this year. To find 12' of water from the south, you'll be dangerously close to the opening to Gannon's Narrows. There was alot of open water in that area just a few short weeks ago.

Why not try Chemong? The ice is much more consistent, although there may be some thinner spots in the middle of the lake, there is plenty of access to water up to 15' or 17' deep. There's already a number of established little hut villages at the hot spots. I would still discourage car or truck traffic, but we've been drilling 6" to 8" the last couple weeks.

Haven't caught any bluegill yet this year in a few outings, but have gotten some nice ones in the past couple years.