Cuba Flats Fishing

DundasSteelheader

Hey all,

It looks as if I will be going on vacation to Cuba in March. As with all family vacations, me and my dad will try to get some fishing in wink.gif Both of us are pretty green when it comes to saltwater fishing, especially flats fishing. It hasn't been determined which area of Cuba we will be going to, and I was looking for some expertise from some people who have been there before as to a good place to go. I am hoping to get a guide for a day or two, then do a little DIY on some free time. Species is not a big deal, I am a decent fly fisherman, but again don't have a lot of experience in long casts and careful presentations - I have mostly just done some steelheading and trout flyfishing. From what I have read, permit and bonefish are pretty spooky and difficult to catch.

Second question is what kind of gear to bring. I was thinking of bringing a 10' 7wt, with an 7/8 saltwater fly reel and an 8 wt floating line, not sure if I wil bring spinning gear or not. Seems like shrimp imitations and bright minnow flies are the most successful based on what I have read so far. Any advice would help me out a lot worthy.gif

Thanks everyone thumbsup_anim.gif

DundasSteelheader

Can't help specifically with Cuba but I just came back from Cozumel and can pass on what I learned. The 7 weight will be just fine. Take a selection of streamer flies, 12 lb flouro leader and for bonefish the bite was on smaller than expected gotchas and shrimp patterns. I had tied size 4 but size 6 and 8 were better. Take a spinning rod suitable for peir casting up here. I brought a 4000 size spinning reel on 9 ft spinning rod with 10 lb. Spons like crocodiles worked the best. Heave them out and reel fast. Stuff like cleos drag too much water. Half ounce jig heads with white twisters got lots of attention casting the shoreline. I ran into a lot of needlefish but they are impossible to get the hooks the stay in. Angling specialty is about the only place I know that had a selection of bonefish flies. Fishing world had some decent streamers. Smaller natural bi krakow were good too

Hey all,

It looks as if I will be going on vacation to Cuba in March. As with all family vacations, me and my dad will try to get some fishing in wink.gif Both of us are pretty green when it comes to saltwater fishing, especially flats fishing. It hasn't been determined which area of Cuba we will be going to, and I was looking for some expertise from some people who have been there before as to a good place to go. I am hoping to get a guide for a day or two, then do a little DIY on some free time. Species is not a big deal, I am a decent fly fisherman, but again don't have a lot of experience in long casts and careful presentations - I have mostly just done some steelheading and trout flyfishing. From what I have read, permit and bonefish are pretty spooky and difficult to catch.

Second question is what kind of gear to bring. I was thinking of bringing a 10' 7wt, with an 7/8 saltwater fly reel and an 8 wt floating line, not sure if I wil bring spinning gear or not. Seems like shrimp imitations and bright minnow flies are the most successful based on what I have read so far. Any advice would help me out a lot worthy.gif

Thanks everyone thumbsup_anim.gif

DundasSteelheader

I was in Cuba two weeks ago. We stayed in Cayo Coco. Flats are about 40 minutes by cab away.

I contacted a guide through the resort "Abel" who was excellent and inexpensive. There were many bonefish including some real bruisers.

I was using a 9wt to help with the wind. Do yourself a favor learn how to double haul well and you will save some frustration.

Flies are pretty simple stick to gottchas and crazy charlies and you should be fine. 12lb test leaders.

Can't help specifically with Cuba but I just came back from Cozumel and can pass on what I learned. The 7 weight will be just fine. Take a selection of streamer flies, 12 lb flouro leader and for bonefish the bite was on smaller than expected gotchas and shrimp patterns. I had tied size 4 but size 6 and 8 were better. Take a spinning rod suitable for peir casting up here. I brought a 4000 size spinning reel on 9 ft spinning rod with 10 lb. Spons like crocodiles worked the best. Heave them out and reel fast. Stuff like cleos drag too much water. Half ounce jig heads with white twisters got lots of attention casting the shoreline. I ran into a lot of needlefish but they are impossible to get the hooks the stay in. Angling specialty is about the only place I know that had a selection of bonefish flies. Fishing world had some decent streamers. Smaller natural bi krakow were good too

Thanks for the info dude - what were you catching on the spinning gear? Cudas?

It all depends on where in cuba you are going, some areas have no flats with in 2 hours.

Amazing fishery for bones,tarpon,snook and cuda if your in the right areas

Could ya give me the names of a few general areas that have flats nearby? It isnt decided what area we want to go to yet, and good fishing is definitely a big factor for my dad and I. I don't really care what species I fish for, just want to get some form of fishing in.

I was in Cuba two weeks ago. We stayed in Cayo Coco. Flats are about 40 minutes by cab away.

I contacted a guide through the resort "Abel" who was excellent and inexpensive. There were many bonefish including some real bruisers.

I was using a 9wt to help with the wind. Do yourself a favor learn how to double haul well and you will save some frustration.

Flies are pretty simple stick to gottchas and crazy charlies and you should be fine. 12lb test leaders.

Thanks for the information, have been to Cayo Coco before and it was awesome, definitely considering going back. Do you think overlining a couple weights would help with casting?

I was taken to Cayo Romano and we had to pass through a locked gate. I dont know if I could get there without the guide to be honest.

Once you get past the gate it is about 15 kms to the flats.

He told me there are very few bonefish near the resorts on Cayo Coco or Cayo Guillermo.

As long as you are a good caster and know how to double haul 8 wt or even a 7 would be fine I am sure. I am not the worlds best fly caster which is why I took a bit heavier rod.

Thanks guys,

I'm getting a feeling that the good flats fishing to be had is with a guide, and that the wandering the beaches DIY stuff will mostly just be luck if I catch anything. Any tips on spinning gear ? line leaders, lures anything? I was thinking of getting some 30-40 pound braid, wire leaders, bucktails, poppers, crankbaits etc. The rod I will be bringing is a 9' H MF Clarus, with a 2500 Stradic... do you think that will be a big enough reel? '

DundasSteelheader

I'm leaving for Cuba on Saturday and plan on doing as much fishing as possible. The area I'm travelling to is somewhat unknown, but I have a contact over there who will supposedly be showing me around.

I'll be doing most if not all of my fishing without a guide.

Have no idea what it'll be like but I'll let you know when I get back.

I do know someone who's fished Las Salinas and said it was amazing.

http://solidadventures.com/2011/12/las-salinas-the-bonefish-paradise/

Everything I hooked into could be easily played on the 4000 sized reel. Go for capacity more than heavy line. A 15 lb braid with 10-15lb flouro leader should handle everything. Some extra wire on the end for insurance if there are any cudas around. If I was going back down I'd be taking some #4/5 Spinners, 3/4 oz Krocodiles, 4" minnow plugs and some top water poppers that can be worked fast. Also take 3/16-1/2 jig heads and a few plastic tails. The trigger X minnow and twister worked for me and my guide seemed to have pretty much all paddle tail types of plastic. White was predominant colour in plastic.

I also stuck a couple bobbers in my bag just in case I could steal any shrimp from the buffet. Unfortunately they didn't have any shrimp.