Fluorocarbon line is junk!!!

Dabluz

I totally agree, I bought 20 pound test to tie my own worn harnesses for walleye and the line broke on every 1-3 fish. The walleye were only 18 inches!

Crap and not worth the money. My 8 pound mono held up to over 50 fish!

I had exactly the same results using 15 lb and then 25 lb test Seaguar leader material. I normally use very light lines so my knots are always very carefully tied. No matter what I did, the 15 lb test Seaguar was weaker than my 10 lb test "el cheapo" which cost 7 dollars for 1500 yards. So then I decided to use 25 lb test Seaguar. It was not much stronger than the 15 lb test. If I used the fluorocarbon just for making a harness, the harness would break before the 10 lb test el cheapo line. I got the best results just using the "el cheapo" mono for everything. I even hauled up some of my lost lures and hooks that had hooked into the sunken wood on the bottom with my "el cheapo" mono.

My first experience with fluorocarbon was with Berkley Vanish in 6 lb test. I couldn't find any 4 lb test Vanish. I spooled a brook trout reel with the stuff. I took me about 10 minutes to really hate the stuff. I was fishing from shore. I fish with just a size 8 Gamakatsu Octopus hook and the head of a nightcrawler. I need to use light line if I want decent distance when casting. Anyway, the stuff was way weaker than my 4 lb mono, It also had very weak shock strength. It sank (something I didn't know at the time) so I couldn't let my bait rest on the bottom at all. The sinking also increased hanging up on bottom by a tenfold.

The only thing that I will admit is an advantage with fluorocarbon is the fact that it could be more abrasion resistant. However, in my 60 years of fishing, abrasion has been the least of my problems. I have never had abrasion problems when fly fishing. Actually, using mono when nymph fishing with sinking line or sinking tip line is an advantage because the fly line can drag along the bottom while the nymph is moving along above the bottom.

I've been fishing with jigs since the late 50's and early 60's....before they became popular in Canada. I've almost never had my line suffer from abrasion. I am a cheap guy and I hate to lose lures or hooks. Yet, I am a proud person and I like to catch my share of the fish or better. I am one of the 10 percenters.

I still say the fluorocarbon is junk.....lol. I cannot fathom how anyone can find something good about it after all the independant tests that have been done.

By using heavy flouro and short less then 2 ft leader you can keep the nose of your popper digging into the surface.

You can get a little more depth with jerkbaits using long flouro leaders.

With flouro stiffness you get less hook rap.

If you use heavy braid with it's floating characteristics and a flouro leader you create a half moon like line trail with your swimbait well below your braid. That day I was using 80lb braid and 20 flouro leader, it worked for largemouth "once".