ice fishing

mikeseb

For the past few years Ive tried planning an ice fishing trip but never gotten around to it. This winter im defiantly going! Im thinking of going to simcoe and going with one of the many ice hut rental operators they have up there. Anyone have any recommendations? Im looking to catch pike and lakers and an operator that offers night fishing is a huge bonus! Ive also thought about just buying a hand powered ice auger from crappy tire and goin out on my own but dont feel too confident that Ill be locating fish as this is my first time and I dont usually fish big lakes in general. Any advice would help.

Thanks guys

Edited by oakvillzfinest420

It will be my first time fishing this year without an operator as well, and I'm just gonna buy my stuff from crappy tire and go down to some lake O marinas. If you know where lasalle park and bayfront park are then you can probably go down there. I'm from burlington so I don't know any oakville spots dunno.gif I should learn some though. When I went down to bayfront last year for a walk I noticed a lot of people ice fishing there for pike

Edited by northernpike56

this guy has what your looking for,if your after trout. I've never used him though.

Floyd Hales Fish Huts - Bait & Tackle - Beaverton

Floyd Hales Fish Huts and Bait & Tackle

Ph:(705)426-7415 Toll Free: 1-800-363-4704

Bombardiers, GPS Navigation, Fully Insured.

As for going on your own, if your after trout you will have to wait till later in the season. The ice is usually not thick enough to get on the trout grounds. You will need some essentials, lots of posts talking about what you need. Good luck.

It will be my first time fishing this year without an operator as well, and I'm just gonna buy my stuff from crappy tire and go down to some lake O marinas. If you know where lasalle park and bayfront park are then you can probably go down there. I'm from burlington so I don't know any oakville spots dunno.gif I should learn some though. When I went down to bayfront last year for a walk I noticed a lot of people ice fishing there (I don't know for what though).

you can catch perch, crappie, pike, bass, and trout in the hamilton bay. Fishing can be hit and miss down there. Changes day by day. You live close so if you put in the time you should hit a hot day when the fish are on and do well. Ice fishing is a blast enjoy it and have fun.

A few years back I saw a few guys ice fishing in the harbor at 16 mile creek saying they were after pike, didnt hear of anything being caught though.. hamilton bay is nice and close where would the best access point be? As for the lakers when would the ice be thick enough? One more thing I didnt know you could ice fish for bass would this be largemouth or smallmouth, Ive got a nice little spot not to far from me loaded with largemouth and think it would be a great place to start.

A few years back I saw a few guys ice fishing in the harbor at 16 mile creek saying they were after pike, didnt hear of anything being caught though.. hamilton bay is nice and close where would the best access point be? As for the lakers when would the ice be thick enough? One more thing I didnt know you could ice fish for bass would this be largemouth or smallmouth, Ive got a nice little spot not to far from me loaded with largemouth and think it would be a great place to start.

Best place to fish the hamilton bay is bayfront park. Lots of parking and easy access to the ice. The ice will probably be safe late January or early Feb. for lakers on simcoe. Just keep checking reports. Guys that live near simcoe will let us know. You can't target bass in the winder I believe they our out of season. I was just stating what can be caught down there. I didn't say you could fish for them. I and others have caught the incidental bass is all.

Best place to fish the hamilton bay is bayfront park. Lots of parking and easy access to the ice. The ice will probably be safe late January or early Feb. for lakers on simcoe. Just keep checking reports. Guys that live near simcoe will let us know. You can't target bass in the winder I believe they our out of season. I was just stating what can be caught down there. I didn't say you could fish for them. I and others have caught the incidental bass is all.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the info Im defiantly going to check the bay out.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the info Im defiantly going to check the bay out.

Bayfront park in feb/march. And bass is OOS from Nov. 30th to the 4th saturday in june I believe. But pike, panfish, and trout stay open thoughout the ice season (rainbows and browns are open all year in lake O and hamilton harbour, and lakers are open throughout the ice season).

EDIT: the browns and rainbows are only open all year in lake ontario (you can't fish for them anywhere else)

Edited by northernpike56

do any of these conservation areas offer hut rentals? being my first time on hard water i think its best i get set up where the fish are with the right gear lol

I know that Island Lake Conservation in Orangeville has hut rentals. The lake is loaded with Pike but most of them are hammer handles.