Mouth of Thames/ Lake St. Clair for musky

Andy

I have never fished this area and was thinking about trying it this weekend for musky. Is the river deep at the mouth? Is trolling the preferred route? Or do fellows jig? Cast? Can it be a productive time of year in this area? Any general info would be appreciated. Andy

You can catch them from shore there, no need for a boat but it will be shoulder to shoulder from shore down there. Last I heard they are catching them there now. A week ago was a different story when the river was really dirty, but it seems to have cleaned up a bit now. A friend of mine was down earlier in the week and went 4-4 with the biggest being 51".

Its anywhere from 10-18' deep in most spots there. Any fish I've seen caught from shore are usually caught on bulldogs or big bucktails. Most guys in boats are trolling mostly, and believers seem to be the ticket there. Either way, anything that makes a bunch of noise seems to produce.

There is a free boat launch right at the lighthouse but it's a bit sketchy. There is a pay launch not far away thats about $20 that takes you right out to the river fairly quick.

Good luck.

I might be heading there this afternoon actually ! Not sure if I want bass or musky !

There isn't very many obsticles to worry about.... right at the mouth on either side it gets VERY shallow, so stick to the channel and you should be ok.

Trolling is the preferred method from a boat, BUT I like to drift with the current and cast. Makes it not so boring.

I haven't heard any recent reports regarding the fishing since we had the big rain a couple weeks ago.... the river came up a few feet and turned to chocolate milk for over a week. Things have calmed down now so I would think its back on again !

If your coming this way in a boat.... Launch @ Janettes Creek..... its a free public launch, and in my opinion its better then the launch @ light house peir .