boat storage

rob v

lota lota - is that the set up where you fill the bucket half full with water, set it by a stair/ledge with a small piece of wood extended from the ledge/stair with a peice of bait (e.g. cheese) balanced on the peice of wood over the pail ? when the mouse walks on the small peice of wood (walks the plank) to get the bait the whole thing including the mouse falls in the bucket ?

Doesn't the bait need to be reset ? and what happens when the water in the pail freezes ?

Yes you use a bucket but instead of a plank that would need to be reset you have a rod going across and something cylindrical around it like an empty paper towel roll that you coat with peanut butter. You can put water but they won't climb out of a bucket anyway -- I think the water is just for a quicker death. If you are concerned about the humanitarian aspect of starving mice to death, put some poison at the bottom of the bucketblush.gif.

Edited by Lota lota

Worse, what happens in the spring when it thaws with a drowned, bloated mouse in it...peeeyeeew.

You don't have to put anything in the bucket. So the thawing/small would be identical to what regular mouse traps produce.

I don't think this is a replacement to what you would use to deter mice from getting in, but in the event that they do it's nice to have a backup...

I used mink oil; the kind you use to waterproof your boots. Smeared some mink oil on several pieces of rags and placed around in different locations inside the boat. (exit holes for steering lines and console etc) Mink eat small mammals.

Been 4 winters now. No sign of mice.