Province to investigate dead salmon

Parisite

I came across this article on the front page of the Oakville paper.

www.insidehalton.com/community/oakvillebeaver/article/1227963

Interesting note from "Jill1" in the comment section at the bottom of the page.

It may be a little late to find the culprits (rapists in my opinion) this year but hopefully they will be focused on the area again next fall.

While it's good that at least something is being done about the salmon population, this is a joke. There are endless opportunities for charging snaggers or people that harvest roe without basically any effort, you just got to the right places and there is no need for an investigation.

Also it seems like whoever wrote this article picked pretty dumb people to collect their commentary from.

I came across this article on the front page of the Oakville paper.

www.insidehalton.com/community/oakvillebeaver/article/1227963

Interesting note from "Jill1" in the comment section at the bottom of the page.

It may be a little late to find the culprits (rapists in my opinion) this year but hopefully they will be focused on the area again next fall.

It was absolutly discusting down there. The last time I went I counted over 50 salmon with the bellies slit. There was fish scraps thrown everywhere after filleting them and I even counted over 25 heads with no bodies....Oh ya, and lots of kids with giant treble hook lures.

I was wondering about this - I took a stroll down there on Sunday and have never seen so many dead, molested fish in my life! One stretch probably had 30 carcasses that had been filleted and left (who the hell would eat that anyways?) and then hundreds of other's had the belly's cut.....frustrating thing was I didn't catch a single person do anything out of line while I was there. Its sad to see how disrespectful people can be towards the resource.

P.S. In the article it mentions 'eyes removed from fish' - is this not seagulls?

P.S. In the article it mentions 'eyes removed from fish' - is this not seagulls?

haha i would think crows - but ya, the eyes are the first part eaten off a carcass, followed by the tongue (if the animal has one), then the stomach and so on (took forensics at uni)

Saw the article last night too - I was there week or so too (not to fish, it's down the road from me) - midweek afternoon and the parking lot was full. Never seen so many dead fish, I guess the low water makes them more vulnerable.

Hopefully this rain will help clear things out and get the salmon upstream too.

Note to self - if you meet someone called Jill, don't say you're a fisherman :D