anyone familiar with the 9.5hp johnsons?

BFSC Kevin

well good news for me i guess! my brother in law's neighbour gave me a 9.5 johnson, pretty old. 1969 but hey, it's free. so i'm trying to figure it out.. i have it running, i believe the water intake is right where above the propeller but i don't see where the water outlet is there, i see a hole coming from just under the hood but i only see fumes coming out of that, no water. I was thikning of replacing the impeller asap but wanted to see if it was a dud.

so either i don't know where the water outlet is or no water is getting pumped up. any help on that one?

aswell, for the throttle, when i try to turn it to fast, i can't seem to physically turn it all the way to where it says "fast", is something stuck or should i really jam it?

thanks!

Are you sure it was far enough under water? Also, not sure if the johnson is like the older 9.8 merc I have...but it has a thermostat and only starts to "pee" out that lower hole in the cowl once it's up to temperature.

As for the turn to fast..with it not running..put it in forward gear and see if you can then turn it all the way to fast. Many are limited in neutral and reverse.

Hi Kevin. I call those motors the "porta potty". I dont think the water pump is working. Water should be exiting with the exhaust through that hole. Water pumps are fairly easy to change on that one. Not a bad little engine but they were known for bad engine mounts which can be a pain to change. You shouldn't have to "jam" the throttle. It should work smoothly. Check to see if the throttle plate is opening fully. The indicator on the grip may not be accurate.

The 9.5 does not have the pee hole. Water should come out of the exhaust port, even before the thermostat opens fully. Change it anyway Kevin and make sure to check the lower unit for oil as well. If you need any help let me know.

It will be very similar to the 6HP Kevin.

Edited by Nipissing

i'll either be getting mine from http://www.vintageoutboard.com/JEImpellers...Impeller_1.html for $15 plus shipping or from a marine store very close to my place. i used to have the manual for these motors but i JUST threw it out on the day before i got the motor, so i plan on heading over to the reference library and take a good look(photocopy.. hehe)...

however i still do have the original manual for my old 6hp.. so that should give me some ideas.

maybe i should try and attempt to take pictures of each step. hopefully i don't screw up too badly..

yup, mike, thats the one. maybe when the chance rolls around, i may pick up a newer one, but this one starts up and runs pretty good for the 5seconds that i had it running. i didn't see the water pumping so i just turned it off, risking damage.

any tips on these motors?

thanks

You can get the impeller from your local OMC dealer. The part will be $20+ and it will likely be in stock. Everyone else said everything you need to know.

Camillj, are you sure you have to pull the head? A 1969 should have a connector that attaches the upper and lower shift rod right where the lower unit separates from the exhaust housing. You should be able to pull the bolts from the lower unit and drop it. It won't drop much maybe less than a centimeter, but you should have access to the connector in that space. However, I admit I have not worked on a 9.5 hp. I'm going from experience with OMC motors of that vintage.

Also, who needs newer? That is a good reliable outboard. Check and clean your points as part of your spring ritual. Gap is .020 in.

Edited by boatman