The Carp Angling World Championship

hammercarp

I noticed a handful of guys were whooping everyone else by a several hundred pounds. How can a team catch so many fish and so man catch none or 1?

Easy to answer...In many cases, it's all about which peg number you pull out of the hat. Some spots are better than others in terms of depth, current, weeds (or lack thereof). Some spots fish better during the day compared to night.

Easy to answer...In many cases, it's all about which peg number you pull out of the hat. Some spots are better than others in terms of depth, current, weeds (or lack thereof). Some spots fish better during the day compared to night.

It is not britain....can't they catch carp from a boat?

so they are all fishing from the shore and praying they get a good spot?

I guess some guys get to their spot and say "FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!"

The luck of the draw is not always the deciding factor Mike. When you guys beat the US team at the last CamAm , the peg draw had nothing to do with it because one Canadian and one American shared a peg.

Also during a five day event like the CAWC held on the St. Lawrence you not only have to catch fish but you have to hold them there as long as possible in order to catch as many as possible. Fortunes can change dramatically over five days , hot pegs can turn cold for any number of reasons.

It is not britain....can't they catch carp from a boat?

so they are all fishing from the shore and praying they get a good spot?

I guess some guys get to their spot and say "FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!"

Use of a boat is prohibited during this tourney – Even bait boats aren’t allowed. They’re all fishing from shore. Ironically, when the tourney is held in France, they almost always use inflatable rafts or row boats (with a minn kota), boat out 200 yards, drop their bait, boat back to shore and have their rods set up on land. I think it’s part of the rule there that boats are only to be used for baiting and dropping rigs but not for fishing.

The luck of the draw is not always the deciding factor Mike. When you guys beat the US team at the last CamAm , the peg draw had nothing to do with it because one Canadian and one American shared a peg.

Also during a five day event like the CAWC held on the St. Lawrence you not only have to catch fish but you have to hold them there as long as possible in order to catch as many as possible. Fortunes can change dramatically over five days , hot pegs can turn cold for any number of reasons.

Definitely agree that skill must be considered Lorne. This year at the CanAm, the Canadians were just way more experienced - There were competitors who had only fished for carp 3 times prior to the event. There was 1 competitor who had never fished for carp before.

The peg draw isn't the only factor but often times during tournaments, it's a huge one. Looking at the list of competitors in THIS tournament, some of whom we know personally, it's not like any 1 or 2 teams stand out to blow the rest of the competition away - There's a lot of serious talent on the scoreboard...But when you factor in how spaced out the competitors are for this tourney, the peg draw becomes a big factor. Later on in the season carp tend to prefer and travel to specific areas regardless of whether you chum or not. Some pegs have certain features that carp prefer to use when they are in the area. Even if you don't hold them, they'll be back again (like at the first CanAm we fished together when almost all the fish would come at night). In your experience, you probably already know what spots around Hamilton harbour will usually produce better in Sept/Oct/Nov and ones that will be devoid of fish until spring spawn no matter how you much you bait up.

In this case when you don't see anglers like Steve Briggs & Tim Paisley, Billy Flowers & Jamie Londor, Shawn Rafter & Jennifer Terriah, Jake Losey & Tom Vielhauer, Vanja Nikolin & Fugas Vrskovy not in the running, it definitely isn't skill that's a problem.

Edited by MJL

Good points Mike. But during that CanAm the results were not typical. The Grand River is chock full of carp between 8 and 12 lbs but not a single fish was caught in that weight range. Also we did share pegs with the Americans. I agree that when fishing wild water carp, location is very important but things are never set in stone. At this years Canadian Carp Club Championship I drew the same peg that I had drawn on three previous events. I finished in the money this time after blanking on the three previous occasions.

Edited by hammercarp

Still confused.....why are boats not allowed?

You’d have to ask the organizers about that one

In any case, the vast majority of the time, you want your rigs and baits to be stationary on bottom. Even if you were fishing out of a boat, it’s not all that easy to stay in one spot all the time factoring in wind and strong currents...Easier to do from shore.

You could say it's tradition or more correctly European tradition because boats are seldom used in Europe for recreational fishing. It would not be very fair if we had the Europeans fishing from boats. If you know what I mean. Also typical carp gear and methods are not suitable for fishing out of a boat. I am not sure fishing from a boat would improve tournaments or the sport in general.

Edited by hammercarp

I just read a post from one of the competitors in the event. It sums up what you can gain from an event like this. He is not limited or defeated by a "bad peg". This is an excerpt from his post.

" The peg draw offers an angler many extra challanges and opportunities. Some pegs had only swift deep water, some were in a cove with dead still water, while others offered a little of both. The peg that I had offered swift water at the mouth of a major river. One thing they all had in common was the carp. I am thankfull for the peg that we drew because it offered me the opportunity to learn skills I had never challanged before. These skills learned have made me a better angler than I was before the event and this is more than any trophy could do. While a team from Holland, I believe, that was two pebs below me left the second day due to no fish, There was no way I was going to pack my stuff and go home. I came to win and a challange like this was one in a lifetime. While our total poundage was less than a winner, the challange was world class and I wouldnt swap it for anything. Yes, I learned a few new tricks and for this old dog that aint half bad. "

I just read a post from one of the competitors in the event. It sums up what you can gain from an event like this. He is not limited or defeated by a "bad peg". This is an excerpt from his post.

" The peg draw offers an angler many extra challanges and opportunities. Some pegs had only swift deep water, some were in a cove with dead still water, while others offered a little of both. The peg that I had offered swift water at the mouth of a major river. One thing they all had in common was the carp. I am thankfull for the peg that we drew because it offered me the opportunity to learn skills I had never challanged before. These skills learned have made me a better angler than I was before the event and this is more than any trophy could do. While a team from Holland, I believe, that was two pebs below me left the second day due to no fish, There was no way I was going to pack my stuff and go home. I came to win and a challange like this was one in a lifetime. While our total poundage was less than a winner, the challange was world class and I wouldnt swap it for anything. Yes, I learned a few new tricks and for this old dog that aint half bad. "

I would say limited but not defeated.

That was a politically correct way of saying: Our peg draw sucked but we are here to fish so we may as well do what we can with this garbage. who knows we might figure something out and get lucky

I would say limited but not defeated.

That was a politically correct way of saying: Our peg draw sucked but we are here to fish so we may as well do what we can with this garbage. who knows we might figure something out and get lucky

lol. If you knew the gentleman like I do political correctness is about the last thing you would accuse him of. He meant what he said. Luck has nothing to do with it.