Pigeon Tourney Next Weekend

Familyfisherman

I'm in a tournament -- well, really a derby -- next weekend on Pigeon Lake. It's a species tournament, the winner being the one who catches the most number of different species...Musky not included.

Just wondering about 2 things:

1. What might be good options for Crappie? and

2. What might work for larger bass?

I've never managed any larger bass, and this is my 3rd year in this derby...and I'm yet to catch a crappie.

Glad for any input -- live bait is allowed, but I've never used it previously as it's a catch and release tourney...we don't fish much into the evenings either...mostly daytime hours.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Can't go wrong with a small hook, a split shot a foot or a foot and a half from the hook and a half worm (or a whole worm). Bigger shot for deeper depth.

Glad you replied bigbuck as I was just looking through this forum to find out the best bait to use for bass and musky. I'm a complete newbie and will be fishing for 4 days on Pigeon Lake this weekend. I'm very excited for the experience alone but would love to catch at least one decent fish! :)

Glad you replied bigbuck as I was just looking through this forum to find out the best bait to use for bass and musky. I'm a complete newbie and will be fishing for 4 days on Pigeon Lake this weekend. I'm very excited for the experience alone but would love to catch at least one decent fish! :)

NO NO NO!! That's for bass and crappie. Musky is a different animal altogether. You need specialized rods/reels, lures, release equipment, a net/cradle, etc.... DO NOT FISH FOR MUSKY WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT!!!!

NO NO NO!! That's for bass and crappie. Musky is a different animal altogether. You need specialized rods/reels, lures, release equipment, a net/cradle, etc.... DO NOT FISH FOR MUSKY WITHOUT THE PROPER EQUIPMENT!!!!

Got it!! Haha! Just going to go after the bass then! Someone had just mentioned there may be musky and I have no clue about fish yet...just starting out. That's why I am here and sure glad I seem to have come to the right place! :D

I'm in a tournament -- well, really a derby -- next weekend on Pigeon Lake. It's a species tournament, the winner being the one who catches the most number of different species...Musky not included.

Just wondering about 2 things:

1. What might be good options for Crappie? and

2. What might work for larger bass?

I've never managed any larger bass, and this is my 3rd year in this derby...and I'm yet to catch a crappie.

Glad for any input -- live bait is allowed, but I've never used it previously as it's a catch and release tourney...we don't fish much into the evenings either...mostly daytime hours.

just wondering were this is out of and what day it is me and a group of guys are having a braging rights derby on sun.

Not a good weekend for that Derby. The Top Bass Classic is being held on the Tri-Lakes that weekend.

Pigeon has definitely been tourney'd out this year. Two back to backs on consecutive weekends in July, twilights, private ones and probably more.

Glad i am not going to Pigeon Lake this weekend. Sounds like it is going to be whipped into a froth with boat activity and fishing tournaments.

It is unlikely you will catch a crappie this weekend as they tend to suspend deep in open water at this time of year. Jigging deeper shoals or points might produce bass or walleye. Tipping grub jigs with half a dew worm might be your best bet. :dunno:

Good luck and just enjoy being out there.

The Top Bass Classic isn't until next weekend, but it will still be very busy out there. Be careful with all those boaters running around. :stretcher: Early mornings and evenings will be everyone's best bet for fishing. :Gonefishing: The lake usually doesn't heat up until about 11:00 am. :tease:

The tourney is out of Elim Lodge in the south end. It is Sept 9-11th.

We've never had it too busy in previous years, but perhaps this year will be different.

The slot for walleye makes that a bit tricky, although last year we managed quite a few in the slot.

We also accidentally hooked 3 muskie...landed 0, since we're primarily using 6lbs test :) Only lost one jig though, so that was nice...fish all looked fine as they swam slowly away :thumbsup_anim:

I agree with the jig/worm -- catches most species. We also found the small 1/32nd slurpies worked well, although with the small hooks they have some of the larger bass we hooked jumped and got off...

It's a combination men's christian retreat and a derby -- we've really enjoyed it in previous years.

Thanks for the input.

The tourney is out of Elim Lodge in the south end. It is Sept 9-11th.

I agree with the jig/worm -- catches most species.

You should be alright next weekend. Boat activity really drops off after Labour Day.

I have seen real big largemouth bass caught down that way. Crappie might even hit in deep weed pockets.Good Luck :Gonefishing: