Any Belwood Lake experts?

Henricus

The family is heading up to Belwood soon and I have very limited experience on the lake. Having been there once in a rented tinner from the conservation park I was given a hand drawn map that may as well have been created by a 3 year old. Does anybody have any experience on the water there? Is there such a thing as a nautical chart for the lake?

Any info regarding boating or fishing is welcome.

Thanks

Rick

Edited by Henricus

If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase a nautical map from the gatehouse, though I would call ahead to be sure.

Also, I've had luck in the southern end of the lake (shallow bay) casting to shore (for bass) or along the eastern weed-beds (for pike). I haven't been out on the water there for a couple years, so I really don't know how high or low the reservoir is. I hammered some decent pike 30"+ in the eastern weed beds, near an older boat launch/picnic area.

Just remember, warmer water means a higher probability of worms or parasites! So my suggestion is for live release, but either way happy fishing.

Tight lines!

Be VERY careful in there. Stay in the middle and dont stray to far from the dam. They have been pulling water out of there for a couple of weeks now. Oh and a spare prop is a good thing there or an old one at the very least. I took out an outdrive there last year and still dont even know what I hit. Ask at the gate house about sunken hazards, they will give you a rough idea of whre they are. You are safer closer to the dam.

Generally stay away from seagull island if you don't know the area well. Plenty of water by the damn and middle of the lake to pull a tube. Entrance to the bay on the south has a point shoal that juts out about 100 yards from shore is currently 6ft deep so you should be fine. In fact most main areas along the lake still boatable as of yesterday. The closer you get to the bridge in belwood the more caution you should take. As mentioned above...check with the front gate folks for up to date info and they'll likely have a hazard map for you.

Find these shoals and drag tubes for smallies or harnesses for walleye and you'll get a few.

Edited by waterrunner

i havent been out this year yet but last year i hit about half a dozen walleye in one day along with some bass, pike and over 70 catfish. dont know a lot of spots but jigheads and worms and tube jigs. pumpkin colour will catch pretty much anything in that lake.

I have had good luck out at Belwood this year and what I have been trying is just a Luckey Strike, cheater hook, and a couple split shots. Either a worm or a Gulp Alive would help. Picked up 7 waleye about 9 - 10 ish am. Don't have any info on night fish as haven't done much out there. Always got atleast one or two waleyes, pearch, bass and catfish. Good Luck!!