Which Combo To Get?

Hey everyone! Last summer I bought an Abu Garcia Cardinal Series rod/reel combo. The first week I used it the reel wasn't working properly and I ended up having to bring the rest of the line in by hand. I don't have tons of money so I was hoping to find something else that cost around the same. The money I got back from the other one I returned was $75 plus tax. Any ideas on a decent combo for around that price?

Think about getting a Berkley lightning rod, they are always on sale I've seen them anywhere from $30-60, the best rod I've used in that range by far. When it comes to reels you usually get what you pay for, so it's hard to say what reel.

Unfortunately, for that kind of money just about any combo will give you grief. To get a positive experience with your combo you would be looking to spend around $200. There is always the option of keeping your eyes on the classifieds, can get some really good deals. For the most part stay away from the major department stores like Canadian Tire and Walmart as stores like these tend to sell bottom of the line products and you would be most likely disappointed again. Remember you get what you pay for.

Hmmm.....Sticky, I think perhaps you just got stung by a defective reel. Although $75 is not alot to spend on a decent rod 'n reel combo, you should have gotten something that worked ok for your investment. I purchased two combos last year for my kids in that price range, and they worked fine all summer for them. Even got them at CT, and the price was right on sale for $36 bucks. Problem in our case was the rods were really poor quality. Good news is that for $50 more, you can get a really decent outfit from LB's or BPS. For my money, you can't go wrong with Daiwa, Shimano or Quantum. Try a reel in and around the $70 range and rod around $50. For a good all around rod, go 6' 6" medium heavy with fast action or 7' Med with fast action. My kids new combos are Shimano Sahara's on Berkeley Lightning rods. Combo was $90 bucks on sale.....reg $130. My kids thought they'd died and gone to heaven. I just don't believe in buying super cheap stuff for the kids. Time with them on the water is too precious. Although they're equipment gets beat up a little faster, nothing turns a kid off fishing faster than crappy equipment, line that messes up and lost fish. Hope this helps!

Tight lines....

I was going to buy a lightning rod when I saw it on sale too...I knew I should've grabbed it. I know cheap is not usually a good thing but wow I thought with the abu it would've been more stable than that. I've had only minor problems with the ugly sticks. I know I need to invest more into it. Just trying to limit the spending a little bit as I have a second child on the way...well I hope only one more...lol

Edited by sticky

Hi sticky i see you live in hamilton,what you should do is go to fishing world,its right there in your city explain to them what weedman said and they know their stuff and they should be able to set you up with something in your price range,and depending on what you need it for,example do you fish for just 1 species or do you need something you can use as a multi-purpose rod & reel,and like weedman said bass pro and lebarons always have combos on sale and they will get you what you need...good luck cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: