French/ pickerel RV park?

trevy727

I've been tent camping in the French river for the last 15 years and was thinking about buying a trailer and parking it somewhere on the French. I found a couple parks to check out but wanted to ask here first. Does anyone know a good RV park on the French/ pickerel river? Somewhere with lots of water to explore? I don't want to be trapped between a couple sets of rapids. Thanks for any info

Edited by trevy727

I am way up the pickeral river in loring and this year I have to move my trailer.The North Bay-Parry Sound Health Dept. has taken over the enforcement of the Small Drinking waters Act and has forced many small places out of business with their strict enforcement of drinking water and septic systems for camp and trailer park owners.A few places have gone down the road of family ownership to get around this but I don't think many are advertising this and they are certainly not advertising for new customers.I am moving to Mattawa - Sid Turcotte Park-and there is a large waiting list there.

vance

I know of a few parks around Alban on the French but they are stuck between sets of rapids (like you don't want). Our park is on Nipissing in Sturgeon Falls. I have lots of water to explore and can go down the French as far as Chaudierre Dam (hydro dam) . 46 names on the waiting list to our park. However there are some camps with open spots on South Shore or better yet buy a trailer already on a site. That's what we did.

Vance did you look in the Sturgeon Falls area? The Mattawa and Ottawa rivers are a nice area. I have a buddy that guides there for huge Northerns. Let me and Rod Caster know when you get there and we will come join you one day for a fish.

Thanks guys, I love the French, don't want to travel the extra hour either to get to sturgeon falls. What about the mouth of the key river or in that area? Anyone know any RV parks north of Parry sound, south of Sudbury? On Georgian Bay?

one of the guys from this camp went south when ours closed and according to him the only place he could get into is a camp from hell and says it was the biggest mistake of his life so you really have to be careful.All the rest went to Mattawa (13) and were able to get in to a new section of the park on a- you have to take us all - kind of deal.

vance

I know you can pull a trailer into Grundy Lake P.P. but don't know of any private parks that way. When gas went up 2 summers ago (maybe 3 now) allot of people sold there trailers and big trucks and bought park models or permanent sites for there trailers. I think there are 92 seasonals in our park. If I am not bringing my boat to the park we can go camping in our Ford Focus.

Edited by Nipfisher

any way you slice it you are going to be limited by rapids to a degree. there is still a ton of water to explore no matter which section you choose though. the other limiting factor is the fact that most of the french is either park or native land with not many rv parks. the alban area like randy mentioned is one section that has a few but it's waaay too crowded (for my taste anyway).

For French River, try Deer Bay Park...no website but they're are close to the French River Golf Course and share the same road. Their seasonal sites may be booked up, but they have several camp sites where you could arrange a month or two? Plenty of uninterupted water on French River from that point. Here is the link to the golf course so you can determine location:

http://www.frenchrivergolfcourse.com/

Also, try Googling resorts along the highway 522 that runs from Grundy Lake park junction at highway 69 over to Trout Creek at highway 11. There are a number of establishments along this route which would allow 40 miles of boating on the Pickeral River. Again, not sure of seasonal saturation as was looking for camping spots. Went on a drive there last spring. Lost Channel Inn looked interesting.

Just remembered this place as well, which might work out somehow for you Cedar Village on the Pickeral:

http://www.cvprm.ca/trailers.shtml

Edited by blue pickeral