Merc 115 Optimax vs Merc 115 Four Stroke

pooch

I agree with Lew, those old, carburator 2 strokes, spewed a lot of smoke and it wasn't pleasant to troll with them. The new 2 strokes (DFI) are entirely different and emit 'no smoke'. And I don't believe that the plugs get as fowled as they used to because the new DFIs' get little lubrication at low RPMs. I can't be absolutely sure about this however, because I don't run mine like that (i.e. at idle).

Pooch

I run a 1750 Crestliner and a 115 HP Mers 2 stroke and have compared my performasnce tro alot of similar boats (Lund, Princecraft,...) and I get a few more MPH top speed than any four stroke. Gas consumption is pretty much similar and depends so much more on how you drive the boat that any statistics on paper.

Trophy Muskie said it best. If you plan to troll most of the time then go 4 stroke. If your gonna run and gun and spend more time of the trolling motor go Optimax.

If it was me I'd go Optimax and spend the extra $1000 and pick up a used 6HP four stroke and use it as a kicker. Better on the 115 HP down the road to keep the hours down. I troll salmon with my 115 2 stroke and by GPS I can hit 0.9 MPH slow troll.

Ive got a 90 opti on my Fisher hawk 170 sport, and for the first season going out at least twice a week i only used a bottle and a half of opti oil (5L). It doesnt smoke at all and is quiet as a whisper, It has a 3star carb emmisions rating which is darn impressive. Im a firm believer motors of that size perhaps arnt best for trolling at low speeds, we ended up purchasing a 9.9 merc 4stroke long shaft for trolling 2006 and our oprti is a 06. Next step is purchasing a 22 pitch ss prop for the opti, for higher top end. Just take the opti out for a test run and itll make the decision for you the best hole shot on the market, on plane in mere seconds.

Fang has the right idea get the opti and put the extra money towards a kicker. Saves miles on the big motor and you also have a second motor if a problem occurs. I just brought my new boat home the other day and have this arrangement.

Edited by bigb

I believe Pooch said that a kicker wasn't an option. As for the point about keeping the hours off an engine, this point is only valid if your main concern is resale of the engine. the worst time for anything mechanical is down time. This is why the biggest phrase that a technician heres is "I've hardly used it". For the application I still have to recommend the Opti.