Headwater Lakers in Algonquin

Devin87

I am heading to a small headwater lake in Algonquin Park next weekend and need halp catching lakers or brookies if possible. Last year i went at the same time and i got stumped. This is small very clear green water lake that reaches depths of over 300 ft. I know someone that catches alot ice fishing it (if there's this ice on opening trout, not illegally), Ive been doing some research and i read that the smaller lakers will school up in the deep water and the larger lakers are usually 40-80 deep feeding on smaller lakers. So would it make sense to try to get a crankbait, maybe one that looks like a laker below the thermocline? If anyone has done this type of fishing i would appreciate it if you could help me out. ill be in a canoe and no fish finder because its a 3km portage.

Thanks.no name lake.jpg

No fish finder in a lake that's up to 300ft? You are asking for another skunking.

thats what im kinda worried about, surley they cant be down that deep tho? the lake isnt that big,, you could probably troll around the entire shore in an hour or so. id just like to know the best depth to be trolling at and what presentation to use.

When I used to fish Algonquin it was usually in the early spring and I would troll out of the canoe with some success. On one small lake similar to what you describe that didn't work as, after much experimenting, it turned out the fish were much deeper, around 40-50'. We got them jigging Little Cleo's (smaller size) almost vertical while drifting slowly. Might be worth trying.............

When I used to fish Algonquin it was usually in the early spring and I would troll out of the canoe with some success. On one small lake similar to what you describe that didn't work as, after much experimenting, it turned out the fish were much deeper, around 40-50'. We got them jigging Little Cleo's (smaller size) almost vertical while drifting slowly. Might be worth trying.............

Im sure ill be doing lots of experimenting too, thats if i dont catch them trolling. Last time i used a 1 1/2 oz bell sinker and a 3-way swivel and let out tons of line, my lures were deep! maybe too deep. Ive actually heard that jigging for lakers can lead to success. I have a couple little cleos ill try, and a few small wablers that i will try aswell. In the spring i went to Waltham Que, ice was still on the lakes so we only made it out 50ft or so in a boat, poked a hole though the ice and slayed the specks jigging with a powerbait grub lol. Last year i caught a minnow, fallfish i believe and tried just about everything with it. I think finding the thermocline is key. The water is so clear i was thinking maybe light penetrates it alot so the thermocline might be deeper than normal. i think i might try crayfish too. i dont know if they like being down that deep, but those darn char must be eating other things than other lakers. Theres also tons of minnows in this lake. Thanks for the tips tho! were the cleos worm or minnow tipped??

As some have already mentioned, fish for them vertically (jigging), not horizontally. A fishfinder might help, but if the lake is as small as you say it is, finding them might not be all that difficult. I've fished several lakes similar to what you're describing and have had a lot of success by jigging heavy bodied spoons or jigs. Use something heavy enough to get you down in a hurry. Good luck.

I second the vertical jigging using a little cleo or such. I removed the treble hook and put on a single hook and tipped it with a worm, and had some success dragging that close to the shoreline drifting for brookies.

Alright! ill give that go, this helps so now i wont waste all my time trolling.