Wheaten Terrier

Jds63

Sorry its not fishing related , but I know there are a lot of dog lovers like myself on the board so I thought I might ask some experienced owners.

My kids (teenagers) have been on us to get a dog and I have been wanting one myself. After lots of discussion and research we are a step closer to deciding what breed. We have seen some Wheaten Terriers on our walks around the neigborhood and the kids get quite excited to say the least when they walk by.

Just wondering if anyone here has/had one , your thoughts and any breeder recomendations.

Thanks

My sister had a Wheaton Terrier who they lost way too young just recently when she was hit by a car.

Ginger was a great dog, friendly, energetic and playful. I believe her coat was somewhat hypo-allergenic and shed very little hair.

LeetAngler, the Wheaten and mini-Schnauzer aren't the same breed. If I read your post correctly (which I may not be), it sounds to me as if that's what you're getting at?

To the OP, I can't help out much with the temperment or behaviour of the Wheaton. I've known a lot of dogs, none of them Wheatons. I've owned two standard Schnauzers that have the beard in common with the Wheaton. Be forewarned that the beard can develop a tremendous funk over the years. And when the beard gets greasy, they may develop a habit of trying to clean it by wiping their face on the nearest wall, couch, chair, etc. If you (or more importantly your spouse) keep an immaculate house and can't stand that thought, it's a serious consideration.

Sorry its not fishing related , but I know there are a lot of dog lovers like myself on the board so I thought I might ask some experienced owners.

My kids (teenagers) have been on us to get a dog and I have been wanting one myself. After lots of discussion and research we are a step closer to deciding what breed. We have seen some Wheaten Terriers on our walks around the neigborhood and the kids get quite excited to say the least when they walk by.

Just wondering if anyone here has/had one , your thoughts and any breeder recomendations.

Thanks

I have had a fair amount of experience with the wheaton :) I can tell you to research the common health issues with them. Be VERY careful when choosing a breeder!!!! Try to talk to others who have pups from them and check into the general health of the line.

Maybe talk to a vet and get more information before choosing the breed.

They are wonderful dogs, but also very high energy and don't like being left alone, so if you are a busy family, away from home a lot, they might not be the best pick for you .

Best of Luck! Jewelbee

Edited by Jewelbee

Thanks

Just get one of these guys

They love everybody

Edited Sorry I thought I attached a Picture of my Golden Retriever but appearantly I can't figure out how?

I'll let him try next, He's better at the computer than me!

Edited by docknocker

My neighbours got one in the fall. The dog is friendly but like Jewlbee said, they don't like being left alone. They leave the dog in their backyard when they are in the house, and it does not stop backing until someone either comes out with the dog, or lets the dog into the house.

I have a golden and would not recommend any other breed than this. They are very smart, and love people. They also make great fishing partners! My dog watches the lures come back to the boat to see if there is a fish on the line. She also watches the rod tip to see if I get a bit!

Thanks all.

I have read up on some their health issues, ie. skin allergies ... there is a breeder in Rockwood that has a very good reputation.

The other dog that we are also looking at is the Portugese water dog, had the chance to play with one at Brysons marine in Haliburton, he plays with all the customers ... we will be looking at both breeds.

Hey bud, had a female wheaten for 13 years and wouldn't think twice about getting another one. Incredibly energetic, great with kids and fairly protective of the owner/property. She loved to chase and catch small rodents, had no problem travelling in a vehicle and was fairly healthy throughout her entire life (had a major incident when she tried to jump across a freshly poured foundation with exposed rebar, haha).

She was fairly quiet too, really only barked when we pissed her off or someone she didn't know approached the house. Actually small rodents got her worked up too, haha.

If my memory is correct, we got her from a breeder in Drumbo....

If you've got any questions, ask away!

We had a female wheaten that lived to be 18 years old, one of the sweetest dogs you will ever meet. Very energetic, playful, funny personalities and also very smart. My mom took her to dog school and she had just about every diploma that she could get. I currently have a golden retriever, awesome dog, lazy, loyal, get along with everyone and everything! My step daughter has a hamster and he plays with the damn thing! The kids train him to do things that i had no idea you can train a dog to do, very smart! He is my shadow, everywhere i go, he goes and you never have to worry about him wondering off. Once i forgot him outside, he just went to the front of the house on the porch and looks in the front window at us!

If there is a better family dog than a Golden Retriever I don't know what it is.

Loving, gentle, smart and easy to live with...They only want to please.

They have a long coat that wants lots of brushing, and they shed, but they are 100% worth the trouble.

Garry2R's

If there is a better family dog than a Golden Retriever I don't know what it is.

Loving, gentle, smart and easy to live with...They only want to please.

They have a long coat that wants lots of brushing, and they shed, but they are 100% worth the trouble.

Garry2R's

A collie :)

Just get one of these guys

They love everybody

Edited Sorry I thought I attached a Picture of my Golden Retriever but appearantly I can't figure out how?

I'll let him try next, He's better at the computer than me!

There he is I knew he could load it once I woke him up....

IMG_0283 (Medium).JPG

Edited by docknocker