prop nut size ??

lew

2001 Merc 4 stroke....90 HP

I need to buy a new socket for the prop nut on my motor, but can't remember the size.

I'm thinking it's 1-1/16.......anybody know off hand ??

Edited by lew

Not sure of the size Lew but I found the plastic prop wrenches to be great. Just leave in glove box, they are light and being made of plastic they don't break everything they hit against. They are colour coded, I know yellow fits the new Yamaha's. I think they are about $15-$20 at the dealer.

Edited by taper

Thanks Taper, I appreciate that.

I've used those plastic wrenches before but found they don't last too long and end up being stripped. I usually remove my prop about once a month to check for any mono line so I need something that'll stand up.

Here's a couple of tools for you to pick from. Since I often remove props in the water the ties go around my wrist to avoid dropping the tool.

proptool.jpg

Edited by Garyv

Guest lundboy

I've had a plastic one for more than 6 years, and I change my props in and out a couple of times a month (stainless to aluminum). You should never have to "wrench" down on the prop nut too much, just enough to snug it up. This will not strip the wrench. Then when you put the cotter pin on it will stay snug. It's designed in such a way as to tighten when under power.

I have yet to see mine loosen off with just a snug of the wrench.